Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Web Design

Talking Help with Web Design

hello AO, its me again

I have recently become interested in web design, but it's a completely new area for me. I have a very basic understanding of how it works but I would like to know more. So where do i start

Just Another Geek
    Start learning about the technology involved. I've met way to many web designers that didn't even know how HTTP works
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'm a little rusty, been a year or two since I've done any web design, but here's where I started:

http://www.w3schools.com/

You can use the online editors they have to practice and they have a great reference site.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice View Post
    Start learning about the technology involved. I've met way to many web designers that didn't even know how HTTP works
    Duh... Magic!
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Did you KILL THEM? Or at least break their fingers and toes so they couldn't drop and drag shitty flash web sites together any more.

Did you point your finger at them and laugh? and the SHOOT THEM!

Let me guess they all had "Marketing" degrees from Jim Bob's school of web design

God do I hate those types
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Start with the basics, learn HTML well, CSS, then JavaScript, then a server-side scripting language such as PHP, which is probably the most popular right now. You'll need to learn a little bit about databases and SQL, if you plan to build database driven websites. If not, then you don't.

I also refer people to w3schools....great stuff, and they keep it updated.

I've seen no mention of xhtml as of yet, but I'd get that down pat right after basic html.

You can really learn the basics of html in a few hours. In a day you can have it down pretty well.

CSS is the one you want to spend a lot of time on. Master this and you can begin to market your skills as a "designer". If you move into using PHP or Ruby on Rails and integrate the site with a database, you graduate to "developer".

Absolutely, w3schools is a great reference.

ill definitely start with that .

thanks for the quick responses. html is pretty simple and i already got the basic concept of it, but ill definitely check out that site. im itchin to graduate early lol.

Well after reading all the posts I'll have to disagree with them.

With Web Apps becoming more and more complicated the devision seems to appear between designers and developers. Same as in Games Industry for example.

It is true that some designers never ever write eve HTML, but that' because it is not their job, the designers are usualy required to be good with graphics packages and design assistance packages (if one can call them so). Their job is to design and produce a graphical representation of the page, so they'll come up with the color scheme, form layouts etc.

The developers on the other hand are not required to be overly good with picture editing, but are expected to know how to put all those things together. This is where HTML, CSS, PHP and others come in.

It's true that a developer can still come up with the designs, but most of the time they are rather basic, where's a good designer will be able to make a work of art even from the most basic site (that's why the b4st4rds are getting payed so bloody much )

If you want to go into design then the things you need to pay more attention to are:
    Working with images
    Color schemes
    User interfaces design (for menues etc)
    Usability standarts
    HTML/CSS (rather basic)

If you are more interested in development:
    (X)HTML/CSS
    JavaScript/XML (Ajax)
    Server Side Scripting (PHP, ASP.NET, not so much JSP)
    Databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, others like Oracle are used mainly in particular sectors, like banking)
    Basic image editing

I tried to give a more balanced view of the things that are happening at the moment in the industry. Hope that helps
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying