teacher bans linux?

Thread: teacher bans linux?

teacher bans linux?

didnt see a post about this on here but does anyone know if this is true/believable? Or is it just something made up to stir up an arguement?

If it is true, that is the most ignorant thing ive ever read.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...her-bans-linux
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our childrenís children, because I donít think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

I think the only way the article could be less credible is if it were an onion article. The inquirer?

Indication #2 that it may not be entirely correct:

A US school teacher has taken the somewhat stupid step of throwing the open sauce operating system Linux out of her classroom.
    Writing in his bog, Ken Starks said that the letter from the unnamed school teacher showed what an uphill battle Linux people had in dealing with entrenched attitudes.

Questions of validity aside...it's quite an entertaining article.

At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful," she wrote.
    I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older verison [sic] of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them."

Just Another Geek
    At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful," she wrote.
    Could somebody give that woman a cluepon? She obviously has never heard of open source.

I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older verison [sic] of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them.
    I'm quite sure MS would never do that. I'm also quite sure you'll never receive security updates either.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yeah at first i thought the site was the tabloid paper "National Enquirer" but i was mistaken and my guess is that this site or article was written by someone that didnt mainly speak english so the "Sauce" and "Bog" were typo's. Not 100% sure on that but was a guess because the site and articles seem to focus towards more IT related things.

True or not i thought it was funny and some of the comments like:

Wow... college. You remember, you were curious. What would it be like? I mean, its forbidden but don't you kind of want to know? Yeah, we all tried linux in college, I'm not afraid to admit it.
    and

Is 'open sauce' the more saucy version of open source?
    are priceless
    Last edited by mungyun; December 12th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our childrenís children, because I donít think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Lol, I believe this would actually fit quite well in tech humor. Not that it's out of place but man it's funny.

lol i guess she could of used the fact that maybe the kid was not old enough to be carrying a copy and handing it out.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5 View Post
    lol i guess she could of used the fact that maybe the kid was not old enough to be carrying a copy and handing it out.

haha that picture is awesome! its totally going in my collection. And yeah, i should have though about putting it in the humor. i thought it was pretty funny and thats why i couldnt really tell if it was for real or not.