Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stay Paranoid with Paranoid Linux

Hello?

Um... they had quite a number of ciphers built around it.
    Actually not, because they are not ciphers, they are machines. This is why you can get the emulation software for them (the actual ciphers) to run on a PC. What you seem to be describing are mechanical cloneskis.

Sure, everyone had them that did something pretty much similar........Brits, Yanks, Japs, Russians, and my hairdresser's cat.

Last one I used was an IBM............. more years ago than I care to remember

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Russian Enigma? Someone fell asleep in history class.
    I was going to put in the Russian's Fialka Machine but i remembered the enigma was more famous and i forgot to change the country... however im glad to know were there to correct my mistake other then make a joke

Also my first post is from the paranoid Linux site which that is a goal of the operating system "in the book". the intentions of the site i have idea other then it would be a interesting project to look at.

When i say you can hack as long as you have permission, i was making assumption to education settings and home networks, so i don't understand where you think i will end up in jail for this comes from. To think that all the best hackers that the U.S. Government could be didn't "experiment" and learn about computers from a young age would be pretty naive. the Paranoid Linux project is taking a idea from a fictional book and seeing if it can actually be done. I thought i made that clear in my first post. So dwelling on the fact of what may or may not get you sent to Guantanamo isn't really the focus here.

btw. nihil nice cipher link ill take a look at it after class.
    Im a newb i know

Hi MikioZen,

For the Fialka please try here:

http://www.xat.nl/fialka/

I am afraid that the simulators are only for Windows.

Actually you are not "hacking". Its "security research" as is "penetration testing". If you do it illegally then it would be "cracking" I am afraid that the media have a habit of getting terminology wrong. Right now they confuse the "credit crunch" with the global recession..........they are quite different things

As for getting into trouble, just make sure that you comply with local legislation and any AUPs.

I've gotten very paranoid about what I do online. I've never done anything illegal, but definitely embarrassing.

I think that the authors of this OS have the right idea in their hearts, but not their heads. And I am not trying to sound hostile at all. Here's something to think about:

"the enemy knows the system"

Say you are a little guy out in some Opressive Government Country you get this OS thinking that it'll be the answer to your anonymity dreams.

Have you stopped to think that there are probably people employed by the Opressive Gov't that are actually trained and focused on looking for things like this? Also where did you get it? A freely available site that ANYONE can get to, yes? Well that same Opressive Gov't guy probably has a copy and is testing, using, and tearing this thing apart so he can find out how it ticks and what to look for.

Also Tor has been known to have been comprimised in the past:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/10...y-compromised/

And in the Tor FAQ there is this:

https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/...mainingAttacks

Not saying it is a bad idea to use it, but it is not foolproof.

I must say that I find the concepts interesting, but I can't say that I have seen anything that I would actually trust if the opponent were a national security service.

Could be useful for avoiding online criminals, industrial espionage and the wife's private investigator

The main problem with these sorts of applications and approaches is that it doesn't seem possible to make it look like truly "normal" activity? That means that even though it may be secure it will be obvious and suspicious.

Now, the UK is pretty much a democracy but I don't want to arouse suspicion and have my computer equipment impounded for months while the police try to find something on it............ that would be damned inconvenient to say the least.

I still find these projects to be of academic interest though.

Quote Originally Posted by MikioZen View Post
    I was going to put in the Russian's Fialka Machine but i remembered the enigma was more famous and i forgot to change the country... however im glad to know were there to correct my mistake other then make a joke
    I always make jokes. Have since day one. It's the part of my personality people love so much... More or less.

The Enigma may not have been the most advanced thing in the world, but look at the dick heads who made it.

I'm a German American, and my family hasn't ever wanted anything to do with Nazis or their ideas because even back when you were shot for not agreeing with Hitler, my family came to America and fought on the American side to kick his ass.

There is a show I watch and love called "Are you being Served?" which Nihil will probably find amusing since he's from that country, and they have an episode in the 3rd or 4th season (I think 4th) called "German Week" in which the people in the store are to sell German goods.

Like most movies, the German people in the show are *****s. They are rude. If you watch any given movie that wasn't made in Germany, all Germans in that movie will either be Nazis or they will be somehow in one way or another a bad guy.

Talk about Prejudice.... Americans seem to have the same Stigma because one of one person or because of idiot tourists.

While living in Quebec for a year I learned that a lot of people didn't believe that I was an American because, ...Exact quote here; "You're an American???????? No way!!!! You can't be! You're polite and smart, you can't be!"....

In movies, I can easily get pissed off and offended by the simple fact that any given German will be the bad guy. Die Hard, the original Taxi, just to name a few...

Hell, just in that episode of are you being served one of them refers to Germans as Krauts. I know Kraut was coined by the Brittish who hate us more than any country on the planet.

I also get pissed off at some brits because they forget totally how horrible they acted to almost every country. They boo the German National Anthem, start fights at SOCCER matches (You can correct my English when you beat us in something other than soccer) and of course not to forget that African Americans think that American white people are to blame for slavery.... Which was the brits.

There is a Comedian who talks about his countries atrocities in a humorous manor and he is from england. He points out that he can't walk into any world history museum without feeling bad because of what they did.

Everyone seems to have forgotten all of that, and no one bitches about the Japanese and them being Hitler's ally in WW2. Nope, just us Germans were it. No one else gets blamed.

Hitler wasn't even German. He pissed all over us, shot any of us who said "what you're doing is wrong" and killed publicly anyone who dared oppose the sensless slaughter of millions.

Which is a reason my family lives in America.

In Canada last year, a museum was talking on the news about having something changed in the WW2 area because it wasn't correct according to vets. The vets of WW2 said "This isn't correct! Not all of them acted this way" and the main person arguing to keep it that way was a brittish accented woman who said no one should change a word on that area on Germany just because the people who were actually there said it wasn't right.

I'd like to also point out the fact that all the Heroin addicts of the world would be in a lot more trouble if it wasn't for Germany who invented a certain pain killer when they ran short on Morphine (Hitler's top pilot was a Morphine addict and they then made the drug Methadone).

Oh and of course Mr. Zuse, who was probably one te best Computer Scientists of all time.

I'd really like to get out these facts:

1. Hitler was from Austria. Not Germany.

2. Hitler wasn't his real last name, he changed it to hide his family secrets.

3. Very important... Not only were a lot of German's against Hitler and the Nazi army, a lot of them helped Americans and Brits to stop Hitler. You don't think every translator for German was just someone who learned to speak it in the army do you? No, people like my Opa (Grandpa) helped out in any way they could to stop the Nazis.

4. Hitler didn't allow Germans to read at certain points. He started out with Censorship and not allowing Germans to read, which as I've heard from other American Vets, they said the German people had to be re-taught the life style changes of being able to not only read books, but to speak freely against the Nazis.

5. Displaying a Swastika in Germany is not only illegal, but you'll probably get a beating for doing it, and of course that little salut with your hand, is a 1500 euro fine just for doing it, it is illegal. why else would Hitler's car be in Canada instead of Germany? We don't want anything to do with that.

6. Germany invented Techno / electronic music back in the 1950's, and no country does Industrial better.

7. Rammstein!

Also my first post is from the paranoid Linux site which that is a goal of the operating system "in the book". the intentions of the site i have idea other then it would be a interesting project to look at.
    No problems on this end. I just wanted to get out the fact that we don't live in that type of World as of now. Although the US Govt has made more than a share of screw ups, and stupid laws, someone is still accountable.

When i say you can hack as long as you have permission, i was making assumption to education settings and home networks, so i don't understand where you think i will end up in jail for this comes from.
    I've been here a long time. I've been here since kids used to come here asking if it was legal to "haxxor" a computer network and change their grades. Gimmie some credit on being able to stand that crap lol. You have no idea how many people have been on here saying they wanted help haxxin their girlfriend's hotmail account to see if they were cheating. Hell I still remember answering them by saying that deltree C:WINDOWS *.* \y or whatever it is was a built in hotmail hacking secret and that when it said it was deleting things it was a fake delete to prevent people from finding out.

To think that all the best hackers that the U.S. Government could be didn't "experiment" and learn about computers from a young age would be pretty naive.
    I agree 100%. Most of te actual good Computer Scientists didn't learn their craft in a school.

the Paranoid Linux project is taking a idea from a fictional book and seeing if it can actually be done. I thought i made that clear in my first post. So dwelling on the fact of what may or may not get you sent to Guantanamo isn't really the focus here.
    Well, that's fine too, but if they're gonna make stuff from books, why not make a time machine instead to see if that's possible? There are a LOT of Albums, Cards, and other no longer legal things I'd LOVE to grab ahold of for their original cheap prices. And of course kick the hell out of that journalist who was a racist drug hater who made the world the way it is now.

Sauerkraut is a popular German dish and is the origin of the term "Kraut" OK it is also popular in Slovakia, Czech Republic and other Eastern European countries, but at the time of WWII British tourists would have been more likely to have visited Germany/Austria. In WWI the Germans were called "Huns" after Atilla the Hun (a Germanic tribe)

I know Kraut was coined by the British who hate us more than any country on the planet.
    That is not true. If you want to find countries who really hate the Germans try Poland and the Eastern Europeans.

They boo the German National Anthem, start fights at SOCCER matches
    Germany, France and Holland seem to get about the same treatment. Italy, Spain and Portugal do not. There does not seem to be any rationale.

African Americans think that American white people are to blame for slavery.... Which was the brits.
    That is not correct. The people responsible were:

1. Fellow Africans from different tribes.
    2. Arab slavers.

The British merely traded in them and transported them. The consumers were firstly American colonials and American whites after 1779 (or thereabouts). They were not British, and did not consider themselves to be so..................hence the AWI.

I have a £2 coin in front of me. On the face it has a chain and the date 1807. That is when Britain abolished slavery. I believe that did not happen in America until 1865 when the Civil War ended?

The Enigma may not have been the most advanced thing in the world, but look at the dick heads who made it.
    In its day it pretty much was, although was later superseded by the Lorenz. We probably wouldn't have cracked it if we hadn't obtained one from Polish intelligence.

and no one bitches about the Japanese and them being Hitler's ally in WW2
    The British do, but because of their atrocities, not their alliance with Hitler. That is pretty reasonable because there was actually very little interaction or co-operation between the two of them.

Hitler was from Austria. Not Germany.
    Whilst that is true, if you wear short leather pants and slap your thighs you are all the same

Lederhosen are more Southern Germany. They also speak a different dialect of German than the Northern (Nord Deutsch).

Uhhh the Slavery part I actually heard from a Brittish guy talking about History, so I took that one as fact... Hmm, I could have sworn that was correct but if not I'll drop that one.

By the way, I think I may have you beat on old coins. I have a German penny from 1790. It's still in good enough condition to read the words and everything. Other neat coins I have are from some Asian countries, parts of Africa, and...Wow I have no brit coins.... That's odd. Come to think of it I have no Irish currency either.

As for what you said about Poland.... Lol my cousin's Dad is Polish and that makes him half and half. Whenever he's not feeling good I joke and say "Looks like the German in you is kickin the crap out of the polock in you" and we have a good laugh.

By the way, I've heard someone say Polock is a racial slur but I have a very hard time believing that because my Uncle and cousin both use it as a term of endearment to each other. So I'm not sure if its serious or not.

I of course did tell him the reason Germany took over Poland so fast was because "We marched in backwards and you poles thought we were leaving" which almost made his Dad fall over laughing.

We have an odd relationship with words lol.

The African slave trade originated from the disposal of prisoners captured in internal inter-tribal warfare. Prior to that the accepted practice was to kill the lot for security reasons. Once it was discovered that the Arabs would pay for these prisoners and that they would never come back, that made a lot more sense than just killing them, and a whole new industry was born.

All the seafaring nations were involved. The British, Dutch, French and Spanish. They all had colonial empires at the time.

For the British this was known as the "Triangular Trade". You shipped out of Bristol or Liverpool to Africa with British goods that you traded for slaves. You then took the slaves to the plantations of the West Indies and America and traded them for things like cotton, sugar, rum, molasses, ginger, tobacco and so on. You then sailed back to England and sold that stuff, thus completing the "triangle"

Incidentally, that coin is not old............. 2007 in fact. The motif is symbolic with the chain indicating slavery and 1807 being the year that Parliament passed the Abolition of Slavery Act. Basically it was the 200th. anniversary commemoration in 2007. Round the edge of the coin it says: "Am I not a man and a brother".

By the way, I've heard someone say Polock is a racial slur but I have a very hard time believing that because my Uncle and cousin both use it as a term of endearment to each other. So I'm not sure if its serious or not.
    It would depend on the context. I went to school with quite a few Polish guys and we had William Shakespeare's "Hamlet" as one of our set books in English literature. One line is something like "You from England and you from the Polack Wars".

My friends told me that this was perfectly OK, as "Polak" is the actual Polish word for "a Pole" Apparently, the German is something like "Polack" and there are similar words in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish (Hamlet was King of Denmark). Literally, they all just mean "a Pole".

I guess that it is only an insult if you use it intentionally as such, or in the wrong context?

Incidentally it helps if you pronounce it something like "Polsk" or "Polska" (female).............. then they just think that you have a terrible English accent

Anyone know where I can download a release? the links seem to no longer work for me.

Thanks-
    LP