View Poll Results: Has 2008 has been a good year? or poor year? in regards to security?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. (Post Reason why).

3 50.00%
  • No. (Post Reason why).

0 0%
  • Undecided. (Post reason why).

0 0%
  • I wonder what this choice does..?

3 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Has Security become better? Or worse?

Has Security become better? Or worse?

It is now getting closer to the end of 2008, and Closer to 2009. So with that in mind i would like to know members thoughts on.

"Has Security become better? Or has it become worse?"..

Overall, do you think 2008 has been a good year or poor year in regards to security?

This poll can have several definitions to it. So let's discuss and vote!
    Last edited by t34b4g5; December 19th, 2008 at 10:51 AM.

Banned
    Operating systems have administrative accounts disabled. Most processors now have some type of NX-like functionality. Everything is unrecognizable to what it was in 1998. More importantly, the anti-social climate on the internet has changed.
    Last edited by The-Spec; December 19th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.

I'd have to say security has become better, but we still have had our fair share of scares. Take the recent IE 7 exploit, all be it a major flaw, but consider the circumstances. People need to realize that as security becomes better, so do the crackers and the bypasses they use. At any point in time you will never be 100% protected.

If anything, its not a matter if security has become better, but rather the average user, smarter.

Banned
    People need to realize that as security becomes better, so do the crackers and the bypasses they use.
    Kids like that are busy poping pimples, dipping fried chiken into jars peanut butter, and asking average users how to pull of something so petty it's outright laughable.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Depends on how and what you define as security. In the places I've taught I've seen varying degree of security from the most lax (just walk right in -- US Gov't site) to the most restrictive (publishing company -- building is 40 stories) that had metal detectors and x-ray machine; I kid you not that I got asked why I was bringing a metal fork in and what the intended use of it was).

Software development still lacks some security checks in it and yes things get better but social engineering -- that silly human factor -- still reigns supreme. My favourite was the pharmaceutical company that decided that they didn't need SSL internally because "only employees would see that traffic" (!?!?).

I expect 2009, however, to be a banner year for security breaches and other fun stuff as people get desperate and vengeful. :P
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

That really isn't a yes or no question.
    Has 2008 has been a good year? or poor year? in regards to security?
    Why yes it has!

And after I answered I got thrown into a thread talking about some sort of homophobic muslim... not really sure what that was about...

I think people are trying to be more secure... but there are always the same stupid mistakes... weak passwords, unneeded services running, people forsaking security for ease of use...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Banned
    My favourite was the pharmaceutical company that decided that they didn't need SSL internally because "only employees would see that traffic"
    My favorite was the AO mod who got tricked into banning another member after accounts where taken over months before.
    Last edited by The-Spec; December 19th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.

This is Cisco's take on the subject:

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2008/...CO.COMHOMEPAGE