Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slackware 12.2

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Scotch Ron View Post
    Divorce is not the answer. Do that, and she gets half of everything. That guarantees you will NOT be able to retire. A large insurance policy and a trip to Aruba with Joran Van De Sloot should do the trick.
    Not if you are able to convince the judge that she has commited Adultery....

She get's zilch.

Nothing that a bit of liquor and a random and a camera/video camers cannot fix.

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Here in the liberal swamps of jersey, her attorney would convince the judge that you drove her to adultery by spending all your time online and the judge would give her everything you own.

You might as well drink that bottle of booze yourself.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

I installed Slackware 12.2 the other day after having a self imposed hiatus from Linux for a couple of years. I was surprised that everything just worked out of the box including my bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Only minor headaches I struck were getting my second LCD monitor to work but after a bit of googling and messing with the xorg.conf file all was good. Also, the sound wasn't playing well with the other children in the box but after a bit of investigation I found it was my fault as I failed to disable the onboard sound in my BIOS, once done everything works fine.

I am very impressed, even my USB NTFS drives are all automatically recognised and I can read and write to them, something I remember giving me grief a few years ago.

In my travels I found this little tutorial called The Perfect Desktop - Slackware 12 here at http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfec...op_slackware12, its a little dated and obviously refers to earlier released of Slack 12, but very informative.
    Last edited by Phat_Penguin; January 9th, 2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Good to know all that. Any networking issues?

KPryor - no networking issues at all, I use this as a desktop machine behind an IPCop firewall so it is a default setup and networking worked out of the box.

File sharing with samba was a breeze to setup following a simple tutorial here: http://www.foogazi.com/2006/11/01/si...ackware-setup/

Now all my network shared folders can be accessed by my wireless media player and other computers on the network.
    Last edited by Phat_Penguin; January 10th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Penguin View Post
    In my travels I found this little tutorial called The Perfect Desktop - Slackware 12 here at http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfec...op_slackware12, its a little dated and obviously refers to earlier released of Slack 12, but very informative.
    That is one really good link.

greens are in the mail my friend.

I finally got around to installing Slackware 12.2 on my old Pentium II. Hope you don't mind a really long post, but this is my recap of how things went during the install.

First,here's a description of the test system:

Slackware test system

Gateway G6-266 (with other parts thrown in)
    Pentium II 266
    192 mb SDRam

Maxtor D740X-6L 80 GB HD
    CD-Rom drive
    DVD-RW drive

Soundblaster Live! CT4760

ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x

Trendnet TE100 10/100 pci card
    D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
    I downloaded the DVD version of the install, mainly because I didn't want to screw with 3 or 4 cd's. The download didn't take too long, although I don't remember just how long or from which mirror I got it from.

I had to get the machine back in working order, as it has been sitting mostly stripped of parts lately and gathering dust. I had pulled a hard drive from another system that just bit the dust, so I had that available, as were several of the other parts I needed, like the DVD drive.

After putting it all together, it was go time. I burned the dvd on my main desktop and fired up the ol' PII. The familiar Slackware install disk items scrolled by after I hit enter at the boot: prompt. I had to hit enter again to select the keyboard map and finally it arrived at the login prompt.

I logged in as root (of course) and then deleted the existing partitions on the hard drive using cfdisk. After that, I created a new primary partition for approximately 79,500 gb and the other 500 for a swap partition. To be honest, I never really know how big a swap file needs to be, but I figured that should cover it.

After finishing that, it was time to enter setup. Ah yes, the lovely bare bones setup menu was a welcome sight. I hadn't done a Slackware install since a brief affair I had with version 11. I went through the menus and selected to install pretty much everything except the international stuff.

I had setup format the primary partition and activate the swap. No problems there, no bad blocks found. This drive is fairly old, so I wouldn't have been surprised to find some bad sectors. Anyway, once all that was out of the way it was time to get the real setup rolling. After getting through the various menus it was installing.

I was doing other things while the install was going, but every so often I'd check in on the progress. I realized after awhile it had been stopped on the same package for a very long time. I let it go a little longer and found it was still stuck there. I didn't see any hard drive light flickers, so I decided it locked up for some reason. I did a hard reboot and started over.

When it got back to that package again it took a very long time but did eventually go on past it and continue on. However, then I started seeing various errors and stalls on other packages. I shut it down and took a look at the dvd. I was unhappy to find a huge scratch on it I hadn't previously noticed, so no wonder the setup kept messing up. Unfortunately, I had already gotten rid of the ISO, so I had to download it again and burn a new dvd.

Ok, so here we go again. Went through setup, etc and all went wonderfully well this time. No hiccups whatsoever, thank goodness. I popped out the dvd, rebooted and when it came to the point I expected to see Lilo show up I see a Grub error 22. Grub????? What the???

Turns out that, even though I told setup to install Lilo to the MBR, Grub was still there from the previous os I had used in the now dead machine the drive came from. Now I was aggravated and commenced with a little overkill to make sure things worked right next time. By overkill I mean I used this command:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
    Yep, I zeroed out the whole disk, mainly because I was aggravated. Hey, at least I didn't kick the crap out of it.

Ok, after waiting a for the zero job to finish I started over from scratch. I did all the prep work in cfdisk as before and breezed through setup. Once it completed and told me to reboot, it was time to say a little prayer. I popped out the dvd, rebooted and BINGO! It worked. Probably a good thing for the machine and my foot, as I fear I might have kicked it hard had things gone badly again.

All the things I remembered seeing in old Slackware boot processes flowed by on the screen as they were supposed to. Once at the login prompt, I once again logged in as root and started playing around. I ran ifconfig and found it had already obtained an IP address from my router, something I never could get version 11 to do by itself without doing some fiddling in configuration files or manually running dhcpcd every time.

I was very pleased with how zippy the machine seemed to be, given the lower than low end specs. From the system "beep" to the login prompt was 1 min, 25 sec, but keep in mind I have it running practically every service whether I need it or not for testing purposes. I plan to go back and turn most of those off, so I have no doubt it will "fly" during boot up after that.

I reviewed the mail messages that always come with Slackware using the command line Nail program. Next, I uncommented one mirror in the Slackpkg mirror list, updated Slackpkg and then used Slackpkg upgrade-all. There were about 10 packages or thereabouts that had upgrades, so I let it do its thing. I really like Slackpkg and highly recommend it for keeping the system up to date.

I had elected to install KDE as my desktop of choice. I considered going with Fluxbox, but I've always like KDE and decided to stick with it. I typed startx and KDE loaded up in about 40 seconds.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this new Slackware. It recognized all my hardware. All of it! Yes, even the wireless card, which I didn't really expect. I have not configured the wireless or wpa supplicant, so I haven't tried it yet, but the os does correctly identify it. All my other hardware listed above worked just as they are supposed to without exception.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to use this machine for yet, but I've got a couple of ideas. I'm looking forward to trying some different stuff with it. I'm a beginner in computer forensics and I have a guide for doing some forensics work in Linux and Slackware is the os used throughout. I'm sure I'll use it for some of the tutorials, etc, but would really prefer having a computer with a little more horsepower for any big forensics projects.

So, that's it for now. Sorry to make such a long post for this. Hope I didn't bore you all to death
    KP
    Last edited by KPryor; January 18th, 2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Glad it all installed nicely. I chuckled when you said you had to zero out the drive and started again.

I've had to start from scratch on a few *nix installs. Just makes the install more of a challenge.

Other then that even though the machine is low in spec wise, what apps are you using on it? And how does the machine handle when you have multiple things open?

I think my hardest install was on a machine I'm now using as a server:

I had Windows 98 SE on it, and then installed Mandrake 7.1 on it (This wasyears ago obviously) and then I had extra drive space left, so I made a new partition for FreeBSD 4.0.

3 OSs on one disk, and once BSD was installed Windows wouldn't boot anymore. Whole thing had crapped out.

By the way if you don't want to type startx, you can do this:

init 4

That loads up the KDM display.

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    By the way if you don't want to type startx, you can do this:

init 4

That loads up the KDM display.
    Didn't know that, thanks! I haven't really had time to install any other apps yet or do any other testing. Hope to get some time after work tonight to play with it some more. KP