loading windows drivers

Thread: loading windows drivers

I want to be able to run a few apps from my flash drive that use the winpcap driver. so, i've heard that if i just put the dlls on the flash drive, then i can register them into memory or something and I'll be good to go. I can use these the winpcap driver without actually having to install it. Now, on linux/unix it would be pretty easy, I could just do insmod or lsmod to put a driver into memory, but how do i do it on windows?

Quote Originally Posted by cfalcon View Post
    I could just do insmod or lsmod to put a driver into memory, but how do i do it on windows?
    sry, i meant insmod or modprobe.
    Last edited by t34b4g5; January 4th, 2009 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Mergin the double postings.

Don't you have to buy the professional version and just run the .exe from your stick drive? Otherwise, I think that you have to install it.

http://www.cacetech.com/products/win...ofessional.htm

Hey, these guys have to get their beer vouchers from somewhere?

well, i know that linked libraries like drivers often get loaded kind of globally, so that multiple applications can access their functions without having, say, 10 copies of wpcap.dll loaded into memory(one attached to each process that needs it). i need to do it manually somehow.
    Last edited by cfalcon; January 4th, 2009 at 07:17 AM.

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    RUNDLL32.EXE <dllname>,<entrypoint> <optional arguments>

CSR
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

iirc rundll32 will just execute some code from the dll, like a function or something. it won't actually load the thing into memory where other apps can get at it. maybe it's not possible in windows, maybe i've gotten too used to linux where this would have taken 4 seconds.

maybe i've gotten too used to linux where this would have taken 4 seconds
    To steal someone else's intellectual property and their livelihood?

This is a commercial product with a free, open source, variant. This version is limited for a reason............... it is called "marketing"........... basically they give you a truncated version so that you can try it and (hopefully) buy the full version.

Please read what is said on the link I posted earlier, and this will corroborate what I am saying.

Do remember that AO does not support the theft of intellectual property, reverse engineering, or any other illegal acts.

Thank you

i'm not into stealing ip. all i wanted to do is take their driver, which was provided freely, and use it in a specific way. now, apparently, windows has some limitations as far as manually loading up a driver/dll easily. it seems that i would need to write some actual code to do this, but the developers at winpcap seem to already have written it and are charging for that particular functionality. I understand that, its one of the only ways besides advertising and donations to get some income from an OSS project.

my question from the beginning was really more about how how to load any windows driver/dll manually and use it, like i'm able to on a unix/linux platform with kernel modules, because it may be useful in situations just like this.

forget it. see ya round nihil.

cfalcon,

No offence mate; but the little boogers do this all the time?

Yes, it can be done, but only if you pay Billy Windoze for the insider knowledge.

Anything else is illegal