Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police set to step up hacking of home PCs

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    I agree with MLF re: nothing new re: The US government is probably already doing some of this. However, what is surprising is the public statement that they (EU) plan to do this.

IMO, It's kinda like torture. You know it's going on. The US government just isnt going to admit to it. If they did, the ACLU would be all over it.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    I guess its time to 'drop' every gov ip range from the UK and the US on my firewalls. Also the French btw are doing this (maybe not officially but hey.. they are in the same pot).

If banning those ip blocks wont help.. hell. i will ban ALL ips from said countries.

Maybe its also time to quit my gmail acc.. and every online mail service

Easy to run my own mail server and filter out IPs.

No.. im not a paedo, terrorist nor spammer... but those b1tches dont have the right to look at my stuff. Its non of their buisiness what sites i go to and what i have on my hardrive.

Im getting sick of this gov crap. They breach my privacy.. then they loose my private data on some usb stick or some dumb gov employee whos not trained to wipe his ass even and my privacy gets leaked. No way.. no more!
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

AOs Resident Troll
    True...but the average user probably isn't a criminal :P
    Tell that to the RIAA and the like

This way they can track whos stealing music\movies and software ...thats a crimminal offense in most countries

Makes pretty well everyone I know a crook.

Here in Canada they are trying to pass a bill...where even though you bought the cd...you dont have the right to change the format and put it on other media...such as an MP3 player or IPOD..........talk about targeting and pissing off the legit users.

I would love to know what brainyack thought that one up

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well here are a few things to consider:

1. The police have neither the technical personnel nor the budget to do very much about cyber crime anyway. The government have been vacillating over creating a national cyber crime unit for some years now.

2. Just what safeguard do you think a magistrate's warrant gives? They are so easy to get the police might as well have a rubber stamp. Also they are not specific.............they are a total carte blanche, and anything found is admissible.

3. There is just too much traffic and too much diversity to monitor anything more than a minute and carefully targeted portion of it.

4. Do you think that MI5 and MI6 have to adhere to the Police Act?

5. It won't work.............how many major criminals have been caught due to random cyber surveillance?...............none...........

Traditional methods such as following the money, known criminal associates, tip-offs, etc. produces the suspects.

6. They never catch the big boys because they either have or have hired the expertise to remain undetected.

This has all the hallmarks of a political con trick. Give the police powers to apparently tackle cyber crime and people will think you are doing something about it.