Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d:\sources\install.wim is corrupt or missing - error 0x80070570

d:\sources\install.wim is corrupt or missing - error 0x80070570

Hi All,

I get this error each time I try to install win2k8 Server Enterprise Ed. I downloaded the image file and the ISO was just over 500MB. When burned to DVD it was about 1.7GB.

Each time I try to install I get the error. Tried installing straight from ISO using VMWare, Virtual PC and directly onto hard drive.

What could be causing this problem?

I have seen similar posts in other forums but they are all installing windows Vista when this error occurs.

Any help will do. I want to try OS before going out to buy it.

Thanks
    .....I rather not say....

You might try this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-52901f840f17/

I know that it is for Vista, but I suspect that your problem is not operating system dependent.

Note the comment about using a slow burn rate and a CRC checking application to verify your burn.

*Edit, thanks Nihil.
    Last edited by t34b4g5; January 10th, 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Move along people nothing to see here..

t34b4g5,

I have reopened this thread as it is legitimate:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../cc196364.aspx

This software is intended for evaluation and deployment planning purposes only. If you plan to install the software on your primary machine, it is recommended that you back up your existing data prior to installation.
    And:

Installation and Activation

Evaluating Windows Server 2008 software does not require product activation or entering a product key.

Any edition of Windows Server 2008 may be installed without activation and evaluated for an initial 60 days.

If you need more time to evaluate Windows Server 2008, the 60 day evaluation period may be reset (or re-armed) three times, extending the original 60 day evaluation period by up to 180 days for a total possible evaluation time of 240 days.

After this time, you will need to uninstall the software or upgrade to a fully-licensed version of Windows Server 2008.

If you wish to extend the initial evaluation and testing period, please go to How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period and follow the instructions.
    So you can legitimately test it for 240 days

From what I have heard this is not uncommon with these Microsoft evaluation ISOs. 1.7 Gb compressed to 500Mb is one hell of a compression rate

I guess I would try the download again and burn the DVD at a slow rate on a different burner, using CRC checking.

Obviously the only place I would get an MS evaluation is from MS themselves.

Otherwise you might see if MS will send you an evaluation copy on a DVD. It might cost you a small amount to cover handling and shipping, but at least it should work?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    t34b4g5,

I have reopened this thread as it is legitimate:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../cc196364.aspx
    No problem.

I did do a few searches around technet etc, but i guess i was lookin in all the wrong places..
    From what I have heard this is not uncommon with these Microsoft evaluation ISOs. 1.7 Gb compressed to 500Mb is one hell of a compression rate
    I feel that may be the reason why it's not burning properly. I haven't come across a legit downloadble compressed to 500mb.

I guess a few things in the OP got my paranoid senses up..

Yep, looks like a dud .iso to me.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...-software.aspx

All sorts of trial flavours there. Just looking at what seems to be the standard Server 2008 Enterprise version gives me an iso of 1.8Gb for x86 and 2.5Gb for X64.

I agree that 500Mb seems way too small.

Brad,

The error message seems a bit misleading, rather like the old "General Protection Fault" we knew and loved

From what friends have told me it seems that all it means in most cases is that you have an incomplete or corrupt download. I have also heard of it with trial versions of Exchange 2007.
    Last edited by nihil; January 10th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Unhappy

Hi,

Thanks for help guys. Download was done from the MS Download site. When the download started it indicated size was 1.7Gb but on completion the size was different.

Is there no online MS forum where this issue is discussed? I live in a country where BW does not come cheap and 500MB off my capping is kinda huge.

Surely MS should be aware of this problem and should be informing users that they may encounter probs ....they trying to nudge me to the darkside again.....

I would like to eval w2k8 before making up my mind to use open source...MS prods are easier to troubleshoot with a user on the other end of the phone.

Will try burning at a slower rate. Maybe I should use ISO burning software instead of Nero?

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for help.
    .....I rather not say....

What did you use to download the .iso?

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bradlesliect View Post
    Hi,

Is there no online MS forum where this issue is discussed? I live in a country where BW does not come cheap and 500MB off my capping is kinda huge.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ums-blogs.aspx
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Hi Brad,

I will give it a shot from over here to see what mileage I get.

Do you have a Microsoft Office in your country, if so you might get a DVD from them...............possibly for free, as they will know your bandwidth problem?

Surely MS should be aware of this problem and should be informing users that they may encounter probs ....they trying to nudge me to the darkside again.....
    I'm not sure that it is their problem. Maybe it is just me, but network connections seem to be getting flakier of late.

My system reckons it will take 2 hours to download, and I would say that is the problem. The files are so large and take so long that there is a fair chance that the download may fail to complete properly?

t34b4g5

Is probably onto something.............perhaps you should be using something that allows resumption of interrupted downloads?