Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Windows 7 Anyone?

I use it as my primary OS now, and I think its great. Not a chore in the least bit, and I like the look and feel a lot more with 7. Guess my biggest complaints are:
    No daemon tools
    IE8 is buggy on some sites, but hey, its IE
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cross View Post
    IE8 is buggy on some sites, but hey, its IE
    Careful. Windows 7 beta has been removed. Did they remove it because of many, many complaints about the kernel code itself? Are they planning to put a "new" engine under the hood? Whatever the case, hackers have also been testing this beta. If any exploits come out, don't expect Microcrap to save you soon. Good Luck with IE8, versions 6 and 7 is still a problem.

Careful. Windows 7 beta has been removed. Did they remove it because of many, many complaints about the kernel code itself? Are they planning to put a "new" engine under the hood?
    I don't think so. This is pretty typical of betas in general. You only make themm available for a short while because you want enthusiasts and early adopters to try it for you (free of charge)

Anyone who hasn't got a copy in the first 6 weeks is a waste of space. Also remember that this was a "public" beta............. the OS has been tested by others long before it was released to Joe Soaps.

Whatever the case, hackers have also been testing this beta.
    Probably, but I don't think they are taking it too seriously right now:

1. People using it are a small population and will mostly be using dedicated test boxes or VMs. I can't see anyone sensible using it for e-banking or e-commerce

2. Current malware authors are only likely to act when the low hanging fruit is available. That will only happen when it has been sold to the public for several months.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Paving the Way for DirectAccess

Windows 7 has a lot of exciting features both for consumers and enterprises. One of the most promising features for enterprises is DirectAccess. DirectAccess makes VPN connections obsolete and provides seamless connectivity between the internal enterprise network and remote clients roaming wherever they may be. As long as the remote computer has an Internet connection it is able to access network resources as if it was connected directly to the enterprise network. Conversely, the IT admin can manage the remote computers over DirectAccess as long as there is an Internet connection even if the user is not logged in. Unfortunately, Windows 7 is still in Beta so it will be awhile before it will hit the streets in its officially released version.

For enterprises that are looking forward to DirectAccess though, there is no need to sit back and wait. Windows 7 is not the only piece of the puzzle. Implementing DirectAccess also requires Windows Server 2008 and some specific technologies and configuration that enterprises can proactively put in place in anticipation of the release of Windows 7. Check out 'Paving The Way for DirectAccess' to see what the DirectAccess requirements are and what you can do now to prepare your network to take advantage of DirectAccess when Windows 7 becomes available.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/tonybradley/...ectaccess.aspx

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    More details here...
    http://www.microsoftpartnernetwork.c...ct-access.aspx

OK T... I'll bite... why would I want the large footprint of a windows server 2008 to be directly connected to the internet (as opposed to being behind a trusty cisco) and why would I want an MS server directly (no pun intended) handling remote access?

IMHO...too risky on many levels.

Your thoughts?

CheapScotchRon, NIP (Nothing In Particular)
    Last edited by Cheap Scotch Ron; March 14th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    The DirectAccess Server does not have to be public-facing. You can use ISA/IAG at the perimeter and route through to a DirectAccess server internally.

DirectAccess can be configured so that all data is encrypted using IPSec from the client through the DirectAccess server all the way to the internal file or application servers, providing better protection than most VPN connections.

DirectAccess relies on IPv6 which has more security controls / features than IPv4.

Aside from the actual infrastructure and architecture of DirectAccess though, I would also suggest that the ability for mobile computers to be seamlessly connected to the internal network and for IT admins to be able to monitor, patch, and otherwise maintain wandering computers even when the user is not logged in provides a broader level of security as well while also improving the efficiency and productivity of the mobile users and the IT personnel.

That is my '10,000 foot view', DirectAccess-in-a-nutshell answer. We can dive deeper if you have more specific questions.