Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Anyone?

"Finally, Windows 7 installed on my Disk 0. I resized my XP and made room for W7. I guess Windows doesn't like to be install on a SATA when there is a ATA HDD?"

Found this on the net. I will try this solution before getting the 32bit

I had some VM issues, BSODed my host PC (running XP) in VMware 5.5, twice during install, did not complete. I had it set to Vista, may be because it's an older version of VMware.

Virtualbox ran great through the install, I added the guest additions as Vista compatile, since it seemed to work for other folks online, but when I went to full screen, it went to 256 colors(maybe even lower). I couldn't get it back, there was no settings to change, only a display setting of 1024 X 768.

I removed the Guest Addtions, they really seem to stay though. removed Display driver too, didn't fix it.

I got it on a laptop partition now and it seems to be smooth.

So far:

Pros- Wickedly fast. Pretty.

Cons - While not as annoying as Vista(a simple click or two turns off the constant asking of "Do you want to run" such and such instead of going in and having to turn off UAC and reboot) it is annoying that certain things are change- Add/Remove Programs hass been renamed(WHY?), Run line has to be added to the start menu, etc. Little things that are nuisances really, but I hate having to find things that are readily available in a previous OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Slartarama View Post

Virtualbox ran great through the install, I added the guest additions as Vista compatile, since it seemed to work for other folks online, but when I went to full screen, it went to 256 colors(maybe even lower). I couldn't get it back, there was no settings to change, only a display setting of 1024 X 768.
    VirtualBox 2.1.0 ran like a champ for the 32-bit image. I used "other" as a type of windows. It did not find the default network driver - pc fast 3. I went with some intel driver VB* emulated. Restarted and everything was normal.

For the display, I allocated 24MB's and enabled 3d-acceleration.

BTW, I had Apple's Tiger OSX emulated in vmware but vmware has since been removed from the system. Vmware could not fake a networkcard for it. Anyway to have virtualbox play with it? The file has a .vmx extension. I believe I was using Vmware Player but lost the key.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 17th, 2009 at 02:42 AM.

windows 7 actually looks pretty promising. i have it installed on a single core celeron d 2.53 ghz with a gig of ram and a crappy fx5200. ran like a dream. havent tried any resource hungry programs yet.

it also ran decent on an old dell i just picked up. i actually just poped out the hard drive in the computer i originally installed it on and tossed it in the dell. dells specs are a p4 1.8ghz wit 256mbs ram and a old geforce wit 64mbs of video memory.

no complaints here, just wondering y they didnt do it right in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post

For the display, I allocated 24MB's and enabled 3d-acceleration.
    Cool, I'll give that a run

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    BTW, I had Apple's Tiger OSX emulated in vmware but vmware has since been removed from the system. Vmware could not fake a networkcard for it. Anyway to have virtualbox play with it? The file has a .vmx extension. I believe I was using Vmware Player but lost the key.
    Yeah, if you point the VirtualBox "harddrive" to the vmdk file when you create a new virtual machine, it should run VMWare images. I've had one that was flagged as corrupted but the most other VMWare images I had run in VirtualBox.

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    Yea right. When have YOU ever heard of a virus with system requirements like that? Most virus writers go for speed and a small size so it's harder to notice. Or at least they used to. I accidently used a hard drive killing app once and it loaded a hell of a lot faster than the outlook program it would have used to spread itself.
    True enuff. But my reasoning is just the pure annoyances that windoze causes by being itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slartarama View Post
    Yeah, if you point the VirtualBox "harddrive" to the vmdk file when you create a new virtual machine, it should run VMWare images. I've had one that was flagged as corrupted but the most other VMWare images I had run in VirtualBox.
    Virtualbox locks up at the Apple logo screen. I managed to get Apple tiger AND Windows 7 running ontop 1 GIG Linux single processor. The free Vmware player loves Apple. Attached screen shot. Still unable to get network to function under A* Tiger. Suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 22nd, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Stupid question but can i run A* Tiger on a VM for free?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Legally, I believe you can only run OSX on Apple hardware. There are hacks available that allow you to run on a Non-apple intel machine. Assuming these hacks work, I would expect you can run on VM for free, but you would be violating the license agreement.

Wired mag did a feature story on getting it to run on non-apple hardware...
    http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/com.../2005/08/68501

if you like the mac look/feel, try this...
    http://lifehacker.com/software/how-t...mac-317110.php

csr
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Scotch Ron View Post
    Assuming these hacks work, I would expect you can run on VM for free, but you would be violating the license agreement.

I am not saying anything until I get a EFF lawyer, a throwaway car and collect my shoebox full of money from supporters i do not know. I don't respect anybody who is afraid of their own shadow.

Insider's Secrets
    ----------------------
    http://tinyurl.com/d6y6o6
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 23rd, 2009 at 07:49 PM.