dcsimg
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Anyone?

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    runs with only 512Mb...hhmmm...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=672&tag=nl.e589
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Vista Home Premium will certainly run on 512 Mb 0f RAM, so I don't see why Windows 7 won't.

AOs Resident Troll
    Probably will ...but not well.

Looks like from the link Windows 7 uses less resources over all then Vista.

I stuff my machines RAM....makes for better all round performance.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

You know I was actually thinking about upgrades last year when I was working and could maybe afford a few. The only thing I came up with that I thought to be ctually worth doing was RAM, and ONE graphics card.

Problem there is that RAM for these machines looks like PC-133 and a few others that use slightly faster. The older stuff is actually more expensive.

Yep,

That's it:
    Problem there is that RAM for these machines looks like PC-133 and a few others that use slightly faster. The older stuff is actually more expensive.
    You are dealing with PC100/133 or PC2100. The 100/133 stuff is pretty much interchangeable, but will only run at the lowest speed if you mix 'em

One good upgrade is a video card if you are using an old board with shared memory......that frees stuff up for your system.

Try your mom & pop computer stores, they probably have older second user stuff real cheap?

I have a pile of old stuff. Before you buy something old, ask.

P.S. and Off Topic... Saw this earlier today and immediately thought of gore.
    http://blog.spout.com/2009/02/04/10-...r-with-zombies

Nihil:

Before my card finally gave up, this machine had a 128 MB Nvidia card which worked very well for what I was doing (I rarely play much games, so really as long as DooM3 and Quake 4 could work it was fine, I don't play many games and I'm in no way a gamer) and when I bought it, it was a decent card, and though DooM3 was choppy at times, it worked. This past few months have been me thinking of what I could do, since it doesn't work now.

Started out the way most do with the fan on the card grinding, which, I do keep them clean usually, using duster to spray off the dust and stuff that gets clugged, and adding extra fans to keep heat from killing off everything since I'm a total freak when it comes to machines running cool....

Anyway, it died and I had to go in the BIOS and switch back to the on board crap mobile the industry calls "on board" hardware, which I hate. Guess I just like REAL hardware better.

I also generally ONLY buy Nvidia. The cards have always been good, and the first machine I EVER bought back in 1999, came with an Nvidia card with 16 MBs of video RAM. It still worked until maybe two years or so ago when I noticed one day after waking up that when I moved the mouse around a menu, it was showing lines all the way across the screen.

I thought it was weird but didn't know it was the first sign of it giving up. This is mind you liek 10 years later, and the card does still work to an extent. The lines are a little worse and a GUI interface looks like crap on it, so instead of junking it or trying to find some old card on Ebay this thing could handle, I tossed in another HD, put Slackware on it without a GUI, and made it into my FTP server, and formatted the PC I WAS using for that and used it as a desktop system.

Right now, since I only really play idsoftware FPS games and the UT games, and a little Super Tux and TuxRacer here and there, I just use my Wife's Laptop. But I know I'd get better stats from a real card which would free up some RAM.

The only game right now I'm thinking about is Unreal3 which should be out, and Doom4 is supposed to be coming out, which of course is something I'd like to play. But I still play the originals. I've done a couple speed runs which, I'm a few seconds off the actual record (My record is about 25 seconds or so for one of the Final Doom Levels on Nightmare skill level, record is maybe 3 seconds faster) I enjoy them. I still play the original Quake too. I can somewhat speed run that one but not as well.

I'd really like an Alienware though. 12 Gigs or so of RAM, Dual giant Nvidia cards.... Mmmmmm.

Ron: Some people used to say on here that they thought of me whenever the leaves started falling and October was on the way, my own Mom has said that very thing lol.

I prefer an IBM 370 and games like Adventure, Zork, Parc.

Give me a watercooled quadratic 3084 with 64K of main memory and a 3279-C with a 300baud modem. Sublime... http://www.lysator.liu.se/adventure/...dventures.html

Those Alienware machines rock. We bought one a few years back so that we could demo our number crunching software. Nice machines. The sales guy didnt like it because of its weight, but it was a beast. My kids use it now ... mostly for Webkinz.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Scotch Ron View Post
    My kids use it now ... mostly for Webkinz.
    I hear ya, I lost my P4 2gig ram laptop to webkinz. No real surprise, I lost my 30 some odd inch plasma, surround sound DVR - CD/DVD - media center to Ben 10 and High 4ucking School Musical.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

HELP THEN.....I have amanged after trial and tribulation to succesfully install the beast but it simply will not run correctly.

I am partitioned with xp pro..dell...2gb ram nvidia graphics nothing strange.

Boots...get coloured orb things then black screen...and there she stays...no amount of rebooting..reinstalling changes anything..I just keep getting the same result.