Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recover hard deleted mail?

System restore is worthless. It was implemented back in the days prior to plug'n'play when you had to install drivers for everything. Sometimes stuff wasn't compatible. System restore was supposed to roll back these driver settings to a state prior to you installing the incompatible driver. They have added a few lame features to it since then but NOTHING useful. It does not remove viruses or recover your deleted files. Apple has implemented these features into their "time capsule". It's pretty much what system restore should have been years ago.

So this is a shot in the dark, but you could try using a data recovery program on the machine. It's much more complicated in your case b/c you're looking to recover *part* of a larger .pst file.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    did you try scanpst.exe on the pst file?
    Yes I corrupted the file and then scanned with the scanpst.exe which didnt seem to work.

I did however find a registry fix which enables the option under tools. Recover deleted items. This only worked for the soft-deleted mail. I still dont have a solution for a hard delete. I presume it would have to go in for extensive data recovery as I only want to retrieve part of the pst file.

Atleast I learnt something new about system restore which basically does nothing

MORAL OF THE STORY Backup the data!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hmmmm,

It was just one of the workers whom shift deleted a folder in outlook with all the stored emails. What a tit.
    1. How many average workers even know how to get into Outlook other than through the front door?

2. How many average workers know what Shift + Del does?

I smell rodent

http://ms-outlook.com/support/Outlook.html?t202id=2228&t202kw=Outlook%20recovery&gclid=CPDq18qImJgCFQqIlAodZnOymg

http://www.oemailrecovery.com/outloo...leonetrecovery

I guess the problem is that Outlook stores all this as one big file, so normal data recovery tools don't spot that something is missing, because the actual file is still there?

If the worst comes to the worst you might try my tried and trusted favourite:

"Unstoppable copier" by roadkil (God bless his soul )

This works at the file level and will recover anything (in whole or part) even from physically damaged drives. It doesn't give a crap if Billy Winders thinks it has been deleted............it will even work on physically damaged drives so long as they still spin.

http://www.roadkil.net/

Its free and available in Winders and Linux versions.

Warning:

1. You need disk space equal to that which you are recovering (slave drive?) and it recovers the entire drive so you can't cherry pick.

2. It takes a hell of a long time with a big drive that is pretty full.

Do take a look at the site folks, there are other tools there you might like
    Last edited by nihil; January 18th, 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Thanks Johno,

Ill check it out.

Cheers
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Good luck mate!

It does take a long time, and I only use it as a last resort.

But it does work