Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BootVis....?

Hybrid View

BootVis....?

Hey hey,

Everybody doing ok? I was told about this little app which apparently helps with Windows XP "tweaks" what's the opinion of this forum on the app?

Use...dont use? Spyware? Does it work? Are there any exploits in it?

Thanks
    .....I rather not say....

Errr, is this it?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S.../BootVis.shtml

It is obviously a nasty virus spyware that will crawl out of your computer, open your fridge and drink your beer

Well, it has been developed by Microsoft..................

The best "tweak" I know for XP is more RAM. Follow that with a fast video card and a fast hard drive.

I have never been much of a fan of Tweaks since 2000/ME

I've played with it a few times over the years, and in all honesty i haven't noticed that it improves much.

I've always found if your system is starting to slow down, then just do a nice format and a clean re-install and your system will be running nice again.

Or just add more ram etc etc

I think that "tweaking" is a thing of the past. It belongs back in the day of 386/486 processors and 8~16Mb of RAM.

If you think that you need to "tweak" a dual or quad core with >1Gb of RAM then I would suggest that you learn how to boot Linux.

Tweaking is not dead! No way man I do it every time I make a new build weather its for me or a pc I build for some one else. I recommend bootviz. I still use it on every new build I make. It rearranges the drivers on the disk in the order they are loaded even with a quad core and 4gb ram and a raptor 150 it shaved about 3 seconds off my boot time. Its important to me because I always turn on and off my computers, I never leave them running.

Quote Originally Posted by oofki View Post
    it shaved about 3 seconds off my boot time. Its important to me because I always turn on and off my computers, I never leave them running.
    I don't think you would really notice a whole 3seconds..

Fine maybe you would notice if after running it it shaved a whole 30seconds or so off, but 3seconds.

Its important to me because I always turn on and off my computers, I never leave them running.
    oofki is a true professional in my estimation. I too, turn stuff off when not in use

On the other hand.............. as I am accustomed to arrive an hour early and leave two hours late, a few seconds doesn't matter?

Why thank you nihil :-P IMO 3 seconds does matter, because I look at it in the broader sense. I turn off services, disable start up items, remove unnecessary drivers, even disable the graphical booting with /NOGUIBOOT in my boot.ini. When taking off all those things I get my to computer to boot in ~30 seconds instead of ~60 seconds. To me the faster I can turn on my PC and it is up in a ready-to-use state, the better. It's a lot of work to take off 30 seconds of boot time yes, but relativly speaking I did cut my boot time in half. I guess my argument for pro-tweaking would be, do you defragment you hard disks? Most likely. Even many non-professionals use it some sort of defrag on their personal computers. Why run it? Computers are so fast these days right? Well people run it to keep their computers running faster and a defrag isn't going to even shave 3 seconds off boot in most cases

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Do you really care about a few (6 or 60) seconds on boot up? wtf?

On the other hand, tweakin' aint dead yet. I "tweak" my windoz machines, not to speed up the boot, but more importantly to speed things up while I am actually using the P.O.S. to do work or goof off. Turning off unneeded services not only can speed things up, it can remove risks/exposures.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Yes I do care, Id rather wait 30 seconds each time I turn on my pc instead of 60.