Thread: Memory Leaks

Memory Leaks

Greetings!

Does anyone know how to test for memory leaks? I have a system running quite slow and have done all the check and cleanups possible but I am suspecting this could be a memory prob.

What are the first signs / systems that you have memory issues?
    Is there reliable software out there that would not only test but also return information that is esy to interpret and understand?
    How would you know if the memory prob is application, OS or hardware?

Thanks in advance for help
    .....I rather not say....

A good program for testing memory in general is memtest86... you can get it free from majorgeeks. I don't know of any software right off hand that can detect memory leaks.

edit:

Try this site for some ideas: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...214861&start=0
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hah! this takes me back a few years (old farts like me like that )

There are three basic issues that I have encountered:

1. Defective memory (memtest 86 should detect this, as Westin has already advised)

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

2. Insufficient memory

Whilst I will mess around with low spec machines to see what is possible, I would personally recommend:

Win 2000 - 512Mb
    Win XP - 1024Mb
    Vista - 1.5Gb
    Win 7 .............. not sure yet but 1Gb seems OK

Please remember to watch out for onboard video that "shares" memory

3. Contention and "deadly embraces"

This is what happens when applications start competing for the same resources. In a worst possible scenario the machine will just freeze. This can come on all of a sudden when you update an application.

Try removing stuff from your startup menu and minimising things before opening new windows. It is very much trial and error.

Use CCleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you have recently done a clean reinstall then your problem is most likely RAM, your HDD or your video card.

How old is the hardware we are talking about and what are its specifications?

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    lol...
    Hah! this takes me back a few years (old farts like me like that )
    ... when I hear the term memory leak, I think of poorly written processes that eat up virtual storage (another old fart here).

If that is what you mean...

for windoze, a crude way to check for memory leak is to use the processes tab in the task manager. you can sort the processes by mem usage and watch to see what grows.

for *inux, you can use top or proc.

csr
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

when I hear the term memory leak, I think of poorly written processes that eat up virtual storage (another old fart here).
    Yes, you need to watch virtual memory as well............ hey CSR, do you remember that old website called "Bloated Goat"? that was really amusing back in the day? People would submit some really crappy applications along with stuff they had written (usually in assembler) that worked enormously better

I seem to recall that TSRs were prime culprits back then.

One thing that I forgot to mention was the old RAM defragmenter programs. Pretty much useless these days but I still find them a useful tool for conflict situations.

There is one I use called RAMpage that puts a little icon in the task bar that will show you what your current RAM and page file usages are. Then you can check what is running and using what resource as CSR has described. Just Google for "ram defragmenter" or "memory defragmenter" and I am sure that you will find a tool.

I still think that if you have re-installed Windows within the last 12 months and it is running crap, you need a new computer........... built properly, by a professional. Otherwise treat the OEM crap as what it is: disposable
    Last edited by nihil; January 19th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

AOs Resident Troll
    I use task manager and add more columns to the default view...PF Delta, Peak memory usage, VM Size...this should definately show a rogue process.

If tou have some memory issues...the event viewer will also have some info.

Is the machine overheating???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer