Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlook 2007 issue with vista?

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Outlook 2007 issue with vista?

Hey all,

Have one employee running vista business fully updated with m$ office fully updated (2007)

When he tries to open up an HTML mail it will just hang on "contacting server". I have troubleshooted everything I know. If I take off the option to automatically to download images in an HTML it works fine until you try and download the pictures. Everyone else is working great except this one.

Any ideas.

Screenshot attached.
    Last edited by Cider; October 25th, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Do you have this installed??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957909

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

To be honest with you it is fully updated via ms update however I have requested this hot fix and will report findings :P

Thanks MLF
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    I would check the usual suspects (firewall, AV). Is that panda I see in the tray?
    yuck (technical term). Is panda fully patched (can it ever really be. lol)?
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

AOs Resident Troll
    Sorry for going off topic here...

but I am interested in your comment about Panda Cheap Scotch Ron.

I was looking at replacing Symantec Corp with Panda.

I would be interested in your thoughts...you can PM me if you prefer

MLF

MLF,

AV in general is a real pain in the neck. I spend considerable time fighting virus, spam, attempted attacks, etc... It's become a kind of hobby (read... obsession) for me. I've eval'd most popular offerings (in the middle of eval'ing several on windoze 7 beta) as well as built some homegrown solutions. Over time, you learn that some vendors simply do a better job and others don't. No one offering is perfect, but some are clearly more problematic than others. It's not just panda that I have had bad experiences with. Replacing Symantec is a good idea. I dont take any joy in bashing these vendors but the reality is that over the years, the quality of the panda software is substandard.

Most recently... Against my recommendations, a friend of mine bought a vista home laptop. it came with panda av, so that is what he ran. he had problems from the get-go. It got dropped in my lap the first day he had it. We patched it that day and a few months later it was back on my bench. He had upgraded to the latest version. This is when he began having issues with Outlook 2007. After spending the better part of an evening without success, I installed avast home edition for him. Havent heard from him since.

While no offering is perfect, for basic/standard ms desktops (e.g. MS Office, IE), AV should work right out of the "box" and it should be mostly transparent to the user. As your desktop becomes more complex (especially outlook add-ins) or if you use non-standard browser settings, you may need to adjust. Over the years, I have found avast to be the best all around offering. We use the pro version here in the office and the home edition at home. We have it running on Win XP, WinServer 2003, vista home and vista business.

If you have specific questions, please ask.

CSR
    PS.. Disclosure Statement: No, I do not benefit in any way from endorsing avast.

AOs Resident Troll
    Thank you for your comments...

I like the central management of the Corp Edition...definately makes my life easier.

Will look at avast.

MLF

cider, if fully patched means office 2007 sp1 and the sp was applied to office after the panda (assuming it in fact is panda running) install, suggest you try to reinstall panda. also if you have outlook add-ins, try disabling them before reinstall panda. then install them after the reinstall. that worked for "some" of the addins (pst backup), didnt work for others (BCM, Junxure).

I would check the usual suspects (firewall, AV). Is that panda I see in the tray?
    yuck (technical term). Is panda fully patched (can it ever really be. lol)?
    I work for them so yes I am sure I have it at 100 % eff

Sorry for going off topic here...

but I am interested in your comment about Panda Cheap Scotch Ron.

I was looking at replacing Symantec Corp with Panda.

I would be interested in your thoughts...you can PM me if you prefer

MLF
    If you want more information about Panda, I do their technichal so I will give you an unbaised view if you let me know your network setup.

cider, if fully patched means office 2007 sp1 and the sp was applied to office after the panda (assuming it in fact is panda running) install, suggest you try to reinstall panda. also if you have outlook add-ins, try disabling them before reinstall panda. then install them after the reinstall. that worked for "some" of the addins (pst backup), didnt work for others (BCM, Junxure).

UPDATE

Uninstalled Panda and the problem still persists. I have removed all plug ins except Google desktop for the user. This seems to me like a M$ issue. Do I need to use one of my "phone calls" to m$ for this or is there other things to troubleshoot.
    Albert Einstein