Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Security Paint

WiFi Security Paint

The Japanese have discovered a WiFi security paint.

So how does this new blocking paint actually work? Well, electromagnetic (EM) waves can only be blocked when a material's magnetic field resonates at the same frequency as the wave. The New Scientist says that wave absorbers are usually made from iron-rich oxides, but higher-frequency transmissions outstrip the power of iron to absorb electromagnetic waves. This is because the standard oxide coating has a maximum resonance frequency that is outstripped at 48GHz.
    But Shin-ichi Ohkoshi's team at the University of Tokyo in Japan has now identified a new aluminium-iron oxide able to block waves with a frequency almost four times higher. They used a sensitive magnetometer (a scientific instrument used to measure the strength and/or direction of a magnetic field) to confirm that a powder of the new oxide can absorb EM waves of up to 182GHz at room temperature.

More here:

http://www.itworldcanada.com//Pages/...A-B2C4D89EE233

As long as i'm able to choose the colour of the paint then this is great.

Just a matter of time before someone stumbles upon a way to bypass it.

Thats actually a pretty cool concept. You can paint all your exterior walls with with it to block it the signal from leaving your house or biz.

As long as i'm able to choose the colour of the paint then this is great.
    My bet is that you can have any colour you like so long as it is grey or red. That shouldn't matter though, as it would be applied as a primer or undercoat I would have thought?

Just a matter of time before someone stumbles upon a way to bypass it.
    I don't think so, given that is a physical solution. Its effectiveness will be dependent on signal frequency/strength and the sensitivity of the receiving equipment.

Junior Member coaxial.bluegrass's Avatar
    Interesting...rather ironic that a security solution would be physical rather than "technical," eh? Although it would require all sensitive info to remain within the walls of a single building and never leave, and there's always room for human error, but used along with other solutions it could be highly effective, it seems like.

Hi coax~,

Interesting...rather ironic that a security solution would be physical rather than "technical," eh? Although it would require all sensitive info to remain within the walls of a single building and never leave, and there's always room for human error,
    Yeah, physical as in physics and chemistry, rather than IT software or even hardware/firmware.

As for the single building concept, that would not necessarily apply to a site, base or camp? You could always move stuff physically, create a suitable physical barrier (DMZ) or use "line of sight" connection technology.

It has been a while, and certainly after my time, but I think that line of sight is pretty much accepted in modern battlefield communications?

Directional antenna aimed at the Window?

$20 says that if this is actually implemented widely at least a handful of people in each office are going to be convinced it will give them cancer from the "buildup" of signals.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I guess that it is antenna to antenna, but I honestly don't know the technology........way after my time

Junior Member coaxial.bluegrass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D0pp139an93r View Post

$20 says that if this is actually implemented widely at least a handful of people in each office are going to be convinced it will give them cancer from the "buildup" of signals.
    Ha, I was thinking that...

I wasn't thinking in terms of a camp or site, but I suppose that would work...I was thinking more in terms of banking security than, say, national security, however.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    One of my stints in the navy was working on UHF transcievers. We worked in a Faraday cage. That cancelled all inbound and outbound RF, EMI and static electricity.

It would be expensive to "wallpaper" your office with copper mesh. The paint or mesh isn't going to stop any leakage at the windows.

If you're building an office, just hardwire the damn thing, turn off any unused ports.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot