Thread: Is this a scam? What can i do about it?

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar

Is this a scam? What can i do about it?

Hello everyone.

Some time ago a friend of mine ordered an iPhone-3g from www.globalretailweb.com . Apparently he had been told that there would be a short delay in shipment. After a week he sent them the following email:

Dear Sirs.

Around 2 weeks ago i ordered an iPhone-3g 16GB (order number: <HIDDEN> and I was told that due to a problem with your vendor the delivery would have a delay of 3 - 4 days. In the mean time 1 week has passed and you still have not confirmed with me if you sent it or not. Also; You seem to have changed your
    webpage and i cannot login with my existing account to view the status of the shipping track. Please let me know what is going on and if you can to fix my account at your website. My username for the account is
    <HIDDEN>. In addition i have send you 2 more mails but i did not get any response.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Kind Regards.
    Few days after they sent a response:

Date: Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 3:55 AM
    Subject: www.globalretailweb.com
    To: GlobalRetailWeb <globalretailweb@gmail.com>

Dear Customers:

PLEASE READ ENTIRE MESSAGE.

We have been working diligently to fill your Apple product order that you placed recently on our website: www.globalretailweb.com

We have unfortunately been hindered by our merchant credit card company because of our rapidly increasing sales rate and by the fact that they have had enormous write-offs across the industry in the area of consumer electronics purchases. They, the merchant credit card company, has been holding your funds since the date that you purchased and are not releasing it to us so that your order can be completed. Further, they are not allowing us to Credit your account back while we are in this suspension period.

It is insane and incredibly difficult for us to understand how they are serving you or us by taking this position.

With this in mind, we are cancelling your order and informing you of their recommendations. They are telling us that you will be best served by contacting your credit card company or bank and simply requesting a chargeback for the order. Typically funds are returned to you in just a few days from your bank or card company.

YOU ARE NOT AT RISK OF LOSING MONEY AS THE BANK WILL CREDIT YOUR CARD BACK VERY QUICKLY.

The alternative is in 270 days when they release the funds we can refund them back to you. This of course is crazy so please do the chargeback as mentioned above.

We are sorry that we cannot serve you on this order. We are looking into alternative payment method that will be compatible with the types of products we are selling but at this point recommend that you make your purchase with a different company.

For those of you who like to flame us with grief, please understand that we have done everything we can possibly do to fill you orders. Keep also in mind that we did NOT get paid for your order but instead it was all held up in the Merchant Credit card companies. We have suffered tons of pain on this and hope that you will understand that we have had only the best intentions for all of our clients.

Steps to complete:

Contact your bank or credit card company and simply request a chargeback as you did not receive the product ordered. They will usually have you fill out a form and will usually return funds in 3-4 days.

Thanks for your understanding

Hydraficient, LLC

www.globalretailweb.com
    My friend told me that the payment was made via PayPal.

Today he talked to the bank and the bank said that they could NOT do a chargeback because the payment was made via PayPal. They said they will look into it. Also (not confirmed) is it true that PayPal would need 40 days to do a chargeback?

After my friend told me this.. i could not help to think about a scam. Am i too paranoid here? Has anyone else ever done any buisiness with globalretailweb?

Any ideas would be very welcome aswell as any advice on what steps to take.

Cheers everyone
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Highly suspicious.
    Any merchant can process a credit through their merchant account.

Also, this url was just registered a few weeks ago...

Domain Name.......... globalretailweb.com
    Creation Date........ 2008-12-30
    Registration Date.... 2008-12-30
    Expiry Date.......... 2009-12-30
    Organisation Name.... daniel voss
    Organisation Address. P O Box 99800
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. EmeryVille
    Organisation Address. 94662
    Organisation Address. CA
    Organisation Address. US

Admin Name........... PrivateRegContact Admin
    Admin Address........ P O Box 99800
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ EmeryVille
    Admin Address........ 94662
    Admin Address........ CA
    Admin Address........ US
    Admin Email.......... contact@myprivateregistration.com
    Admin Phone.......... +1.5105952002
    Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ PrivateRegContact TECH
    Tech Address......... P O Box 99800
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address......... EmeryVille
    Tech Address......... 94662
    Tech Address......... CA
    Tech Address......... US
    Tech Email........... contact@myprivateregistration.com
    Tech Phone........... +1.5105952002
    Tech Fax.............
    Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com
    Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com
    ping globalretailweb.com
    PING globalretailweb.com (74.205.64.88): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 74.205.64.88: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=59.011 ms
    whois 74.205.64.88
    Rackspace.com, Ltd. RSCP-NET-4 (NET-74-205-0-0-1)
    74.205.0.0 - 74.205.127.255
    White Horse RSPC-74134-1184161371 (NET-74-205-64-64-1)
    74.205.64.64 - 74.205.64.127

74.205.64.88 US UNITED STATES OREGON PORTLAND WHITE HORSE
    I would contact the ISP (White Horse) and Hosting Company(Rackspace) and make them aware. It's possible the company is legit, but it sounds very fishy.

Also, check this out...

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/.../t-626294.html
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

You're not being over paranoid..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=630070&page=2

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=626294

Btw, this is what the address points to (of the linked "old" website):

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=utf-8...um=1&ct=result

Finally :

Domain Name.......... globalretailweb.com

Creation Date........ 2008-12-30

Registration Date.... 2008-12-30

Expiry Date.......... 2009-12-30

Organisation Name.... daniel voss

Organisation Address. P O Box 99800

Organisation Address.

Organisation Address. EmeryVille

Organisation Address. 94662

Organisation Address. CA

Organisation Address. US

Admin Name........... PrivateRegContact Admin

Admin Address........ P O Box 99800

Admin Address........

Admin Address........ EmeryVille

Admin Address........ 94662

Admin Address........ CA

Admin Address........ US

Admin Email.......... contact@myprivateregistration.com

Admin Phone.......... +1.5105952002

Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ PrivateRegContact TECH

Tech Address......... P O Box 99800

Tech Address.........

Tech Address......... EmeryVille

Tech Address......... 94662

Tech Address......... CA

Tech Address......... US

Tech Email........... contact@myprivateregistration.com

Tech Phone........... +1.5105952002

Tech Fax.............

Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com

Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Hmmm, not good methinks?

Strange that they don't see fit to name their mysterious "Merchant Credit Card Company"

Anyways, why should a credit card company be involved in a paypal transaction at all? It should be a bank, and there is a time limit on chargebacks which is certainly far less than 270 days.

Also have you noticed that this mega volume electronics retailer is using a gmail account?

Furthermore you will have noticed how their story has changed? first it was their vendor, now it is this mysterious "Merchant Credit Card Company"

And check out the website...................no address, no telephone numbers, no employee contact details?

Your first move is to contact Paypal. I am sure that they have a whole team dealing with fraud and scams.

Next, ask your local law enforcement for advice.

Good luck!

EDIT: This is not a recharge unless your friend used a credit card to pay paypal; in which case he should go through the CC company.

It sounds more like a "paypal dispute"................ as the vendor has blatantly admitted to not delivering the product and not intending to so you should win.

Do not close the dispute until you have your money in your hand. Once closed they cannot be reopened.
    Last edited by nihil; January 27th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Do a paypal dispute. Hopefully the scammer has not had time to empty out there setup paypal account and closed it.

If the friends credit card is linked with there paypal account then he/she can do a chargeback through the bank, and they will retrieve the funds from paypal then paypal will chase the offender for the money.

But the only downside with this is that your friends paypal account might get disabled.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Im very greatul for you help everyone. Thank you all so much. Yes t34b4g5.. the bank said if my friend cant find a light.. they will do something about it.

Since my friend seems to not be the only one who had troubles with this website.. how come its not been blacklisted with paypal ? Or doesnt paypal operate this way?

Cheers again eveyone. I KNEW i could count on you when things start to smell bad
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Hah!

Since my friend seems to not be the only one who had troubles with this website.. how come its not been blacklisted with paypal ? Or doesnt paypal operate this way?
    They are working on the slow response times of people like paypal, who should be wiped out IMO. They are fringe banking outfits who will not place their emphasis on reliability...............they are just looking for quick bucks Yeah, the major banks have screwed up bigtime as well; but in a different way.

The site has been around for about a month............ long enough to appeal to the greed and stupidity of online shoppers?

Hell! how can you buy new Apple kit for around a half of what Apple charge?............. Unless you believe that Apple is a suicide corporation in freefall?

I repeat:

Do not accept any crap from these people and cancel your paypal dispute........that is what these scumbags do to buy time

Quote Originally Posted by instronics View Post

Paypal just acts as the middle man, the most they will do when you do a chargeback is open a dispute resolution, and you either get your money back or you don't.

But in your friends case, because he's bank will do a chargeback on paypal, paypal will then chase the vendor for the money.
    If they cannot get there money back from the vendor due to the bank forcing the chargeback then they disable the vendor's paypal account and then that's when 4 burly men in dark suits carrying violing cases appear at there addresse.

If the vendor wants to continue using paypal they either payback the money to paypal or start fresh business bank accounts etc etc and try to start a new paypal account.

At the end of the day Paypal really don't care. They are already making a fortune..

Pretty much your goal is to make either your bank or paypal help you in this case. If you get either one to chase them down for you, you will get your money back. In this case its worth a few hours of phone calls and frustration. That's why I like paying with a credit card because if you get screwed like that (if you have a good CC company or bank) you will get your money back :-)

Edit: And I just looked at the site, WOW I would NEVER order from a site that looked like that.
    Last edited by oofki; January 29th, 2009 at 09:28 AM.