Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandwidth Report for 2xT1

Bandwidth Report for 2xT1

Hi all

We have 2xT1 connected to Cisco 2800. Our network is like this.....2xT1 -> Cisco 2800 -> Sonicwall Firewall -> HP Pro Curve switch -> servers and users. I want to check bandwidth usage of 2xT1 (3 Mbps), currently I am using Manage Engine Firewall analyzer but it gives me just bandwidth report base on protocol and total bandwidth of the day ( e.g. 25000 Mb between 01/29 ā€“ 01/30 ). All I am looking for is % bandwidth report for my 2xT1 (3 Mbps). I mean how much we have used in one day. (e.g., 70 %, 80 %, 50%)

Can I ask my T1 provider to give me bandwidth report? Or there is any other tool available to get % bandwidth report for that.

I hate managers..... keep asking me reports..

Any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance
    one of the great day in my life when i found antionline.com

Ah you must be new to the world of corporate IT. As a young administrator you must learn how and when to LIE!

Now you could just google "free bandwidth usage reporting" and download some if not all of the many app's claiming to give you exactly what you need.

However; if you Boss is asking you bandwidth usage questions, then he probably doesn't know how to measure bandwidth AND wouldn't know how to validate your answer.

In short pick a number, any number - then take the rest of the day off.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I guess after 4 years of Administration experience i know how to lie but this is different, I have used more than 10 tools but none of them giving exact bandwidth report on %. My manager is sharing this log information to head office and its not easy to lie when you are providing information to much much experience person working with head office.

If you have used some SNMP tools like PRTG, network monitoring and firewall analyzer you might know what information it gives you. If it was so easy i would have not posted here my friend.

I'm not sure if this is similar to what your currently using, but you could give this program a shot and see if it does what you are wanting.

I hope this is what your looking for plus its free.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
    LOGIN: yes
    PASSWORD: I dont have one
    "Login Failed"

Try this:

"Hello Sir,

I understand that you want some bandwidth usage statistics?........... so that we are singing off the same hymn sheet, please tell me what tool you are using, so that I can comply with corporate standards"

Talk to the IT guy at head office
    Last edited by nihil; January 30th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.

sorry 4 the late reply...

currently i am using Firewall analyzer and PRTG.

I think I have to ask somebody from head office to help me out..

anyways.. thx for your help guys..

Hi there pbrprince,

You really do have to go to Head Office and ask them what tool they use. Just tell them that you want the reports to be consistent? Suggest that you have spoken with accountant/financial analyst friends who have advised you that consistency and comparability are more important than absolute accuracy.

Its a bit like the maths I am sure you remember from school.............. the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers?

Good luck mate!

Hi,

We use cacti with much sucess. Try it out ...and it's free !
    http://www.cacti.net/
    assembly.... digital dna ?

hey

Looks good,

Thanks buddy..

Quote Originally Posted by pbrprince View Post
    I guess after 4 years of Administration experience i know how to lie but this is different, I have used more than 10 tools but none of them giving exact bandwidth report on %. My manager is sharing this log information to head office and its not easy to lie when you are providing information to much much experience person working with head office.

If you have used some SNMP tools like PRTG, network monitoring and firewall analyzer you might know what information it gives you. If it was so easy i would have not posted here my friend.
    You'll catch more with honey than vinegar. Dino is sarcastic but probably had a better solution to offer you than anyone else around these parts. He might have even saved you from having to confess how inept you are to your seniors.