Thread: Symantec Hatred?

Smile Symantec Hatred?

It would appear that people are starting to hate Symantec (Norton) and they are actually reflecting this in their financial returns?

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_11575914

Software-maker Symantec posted a quarterly loss of $6.8 billion on Wednesday after deciding to take a significant accounting charge for declining goodwill value
    I thought that only banks and fannie may did that sort of thing?

I wonder if they will get away with it...........are the IRS and Federal Reserve that stupid.

Nice corporate tax scam if it works though

In fact, all props to their CFO..............that is the smartest financial move I have seen sofar this recession.

My sentiment would be strong buy if you are in there for the long haul.
    Last edited by nihil; February 1st, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    It would appear that people are starting to hate Symantec
    starting??? No news on this side of the pond.

are the IRS and Federal Reserve that stupid.
    Stupid... no. They are in on it. It's the American people that are stupid. We put up with this sh!t. Vote'em ALL out.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

.. It's desperation times when a company launches - Gaming edition of their security software's ..

End of the line maybe..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Hi there ByTe~

I wonder about the "end of the line"....................it could be a "return to original roots"?

Yes, you can trust an old fart like me to remember that Symantec started out in the gaming industry

Symantec Game Pack is an above-average collection of 6 mini-games written by Charles Timmerman and published by Symantec in 1991 for Windows 3.1. All six games are computerized versions of common parlor games, some not usually seen in a PC game (Jacks and Smart Dots). The games are a nice mix of action, puzzle and strategy: Jacks (typical pick-up-the-jacks-and-catch-the-ball game a lot of people play as kids), Memory Blocks (a straightforward memory game), Pick Up Sticks (another game I played a lot as a kid, where you must pick up one stick at a time from the random pile without moving others), Hangman, Smart Dots (an interesting and more complicated variant of Tic-Tac-Toe), and Code Breaker (a straight clone of deduction game Mastermind). Overall, Symantec Game Pack is a decent collection that is fun for short coffee breaks, although the quality of games is inconsistent: I found Smart Dots and Hangman quite interesting, but the rest only marginally above average. Worth a look if you're looking for some short games to play at the office.
    They even did online stuff:

http://www.emea.symantec.com/invisibleburglar/

It's desperation times when a company launches - Gaming edition of their security software's ..
    Or a cunning marketing ploy?................... just rebadge the same old stuff with the bits that interfere with gaming removed?

Not that I am cynical

EDIT:

Well I'm not the only one to interpret the financial machinations it would seem:

Symantec's stock rose 94 cents, or 6.4%, to $15.56, as investors found confidence that the firm can weather an economy that has hammered other tech giants
    Last edited by nihil; February 2nd, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

SYMANTEC Been sucking since day one. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON BACKUP EXEC
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Hmmmm,

Been sucking since day one.
    so how did they get to be the biggest?

Wouldn't use the crap myself............to be honest I have solved numerous issues by just uninstalling the stuff. I even have the special tools on a CD.

I do have a 5.25" with version 1.0 on it. Claims to detect "All 760 known viruses" ............... those were the days

C'mon don't Bogart it, whats the story with:

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON BACKUP EXEC

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    SYMANTEC Been sucking since day one. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON BACKUP EXE
    Dont worry, we also had issues with this. We asked for version 11 CD's but they never came, then the software crapped out :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hmmmm,

so how did they get to be the biggest?

Wouldn't use the crap myself............to be honest I have solved numerous issues by just uninstalling the stuff. I even have the special tools on a CD.

I do have a 5.25" with version 1.0 on it. Claims to detect "All 760 known viruses" ............... those were the days

C'mon don't Bogart it, whats the story with:
    Simple FIRST TO MARKET

They were also the first to identify IE 4 as a virus, so if you had suckmantic antivirus loaded and tried to upgrade to IE 4 BOOM no more system files for you. Please return to go and re install your OS.

Talk about foreshadowing.

Backup Exec finally got the majority of the bugs worked out in version 10.

The exchange and SQL agents actually did what they claimed to do.

Then comes Suckmantic who purchases backup exec and immediately releases version 10.1

in this release SQL agent fails quit often and has a tendency to drop ALL temp tables.

Oh and the errors. Since I was forced to use version 10.1 ALL MY BACKUPS have a finished status of FAILED. All data is indeed backed up and test restores proved that the backued data is fine, so why the failed status?

WHO THE **** KNOWS. I think the error messages are actually English, but I don't know what the words mean. Neither do Google or Wikipedia.
    I tried on many occasions to traverse the suckmantic knowledge base, but alas it beat me into submission. So now I just accept that suckmantic backup exec is incapable of reporting anything worth while.

I have disabled alerts and reporting and have to manually check daily.

I am looking for another solution.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

I might not hate them as much if they could make a product that is capable of uninstalling itself without downloading a tool from their site or having to fix a bunch of crap once its off (norton) or make a product that would actually FIND virii (symantec corporate) and remove it without using another tool or product.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Bravo. I couldn't believe that, myself. My laptop had Norton loaded when I bought it. What a hunk of junk, and they really make it difficult to get rid of. Of course McAfee is really no better. Kaspersky suite, if you're looking for a all-in-one solution, might be the best. Bit defender also but in my case there were too many other program conflicts with it.