dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to install MacOS - the correct way

In 2 hrs, I will have a legal copy of Solaris to play with

Then go here:

http://www.sunfreeware.com/

Brad:

Yes I know, if you want to use MacOS ...get yourself a Mac but I cant afford it and some clients are starting to use Mac and want me to support.
    Exactly.................. get a Mac or restrict yourself to user & applications support.

I don't know about your area, but over here "Mac support" = starvation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I don't know about your area, but over here "Mac support" = starvation

Dont know where you from but popular publishing companies remove MaCs and Mac Servers for multi-screened leased HP and Dell Workstations. Who wants a $1,000 toy that you cant upgrade? There are folks who rather buy a $5,000 alienware system just to play unreal tournament 2003.

While you guys complaining about a cheap $300 apple machine, there are people like me putting boxee on Appletv units for fun and profit.

Get a usb keyboard and mouse. Install Linux on a ps2 since Sony lost their case in 2006. This is what poor people like yourself should crave.

Everyday you guys get dumber with your comments. I'm the type that would smack the pope in the mouth if he told me I was going to hell.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; February 3rd, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

My comment refers to the fact that there is very little demand here for Mac support. There certainly isn't enough to make a full time living out of it.

I would also question the effectiveness of trying to support a Mac platform using a VM ware version on a PC. Your environment is going to be rather different from your customers?

Banned
    I would also question the effectiveness of trying to support a Mac platform using a VM ware version on a PC. Your environment is going to be rather different from your customers?
    It's your advantage to learn the basics of the operating system and file system. If I was in a production environment, I wouldn't waste time installing and tweaking vmware.

Don't forget about your remote desktop features. The disadvantage there could be a whole department staring at what you doing. The advantage is that you can record the session in case the customer wants to lose their job
    Last edited by Linen0ise; February 6th, 2009 at 05:28 PM.

And a Mac Mini would be a relatively inexpensive way to do it. Of course a new MacBook Pro (the 17 inch monitor) would really be sweet.
    Only trust Pipe-smoking Penguins.

Everyday you guys get dumber with your comments.
    Followed closely by...
    I'm the type that would smack the pope in the mouth if he told me I was going to hell.
    ...which is a dumb comment.

Go take your happy pills.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    My comment refers to the fact that there is very little demand here for Mac support. There certainly isn't enough to make a full time living out of it.

I agree with Nihil. If it's a question of learning, it's better to get a Mac (MacBook Pro with a 15/17" screen is more than adequate) and run a Windows VM (or a few VMs) in it. I actually converted my old Dell laptop into a VM and now it runs faster than it did on the physical machine (Fusion is awesome).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage