Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death of the sys admin...

Well, I have downloaded one to have a look at it.

Each "Fix it" is a separate, small download of a Windows installer package that when run, automates the manual steps spelled out in the appropriate KB document.
    Sounds rather like the old days when you got an e-mail with a link and a password to get some of the more exotic MS fixes. They provided you with a script to run.

Or adding stuff to client logon scripts to change local desktop settings.

Thank God I found this "Fix it Permanently" application...Whew! That was close!

Fix it Permanently links:

http://www.freebsd.org

http://www.slackware.com

http://www.opensuse.org

I've got all of them up and working and the problems and chances of new ones from fixit4me just sort of disappeared. It was auto magically done for me. I didn't have to "click on anything"

I have heard of the "never ending story"............. those links look like three good scripts for the "never ending recession"

You know the rules? in a recession companies stick with technology they know and trust...............perversely, that should help MS with the Windows 7 launch.

Vista was a flop, and they cannot afford that to happen with Windows 7........... no more helping out Intel or Dell or whoever............... it's every rat for themselves these days.

This seems like a great thing to try to hack. 5 bucks to the first one who gets the "Fix It" button to download and fire up an Ubuntu installer.
    From the article's comments. Pretty in line with gore's recommendation, lol.

Yea, it is. The difference is, I didn't look at them or reply. I figured here people know me and understand my particular sense of humor and how I roll. On other places such as where that article is, I'm a nobody who no one knows, and they may not grasp any sense of humor, and may see someone who's just trying to flame fest.

Besides, I sure as hell wouldn't have recommended Ubuntu. Slackware maybe

Hah. Figures. I like Ubuntu dammit. Maybe I'll venture into Debian just b/c I'm already familiar with the repositories and file structure, but (call me crazy) I like an OS that works out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by keezel View Post
    Hah. Figures. I like Ubuntu dammit. Maybe I'll venture into Debian just b/c I'm already familiar with the repositories and file structure, but (call me crazy) I like an OS that works out of the box.
    I would have to agree. I have messed around with Slackware a bit on some VMs... It was kind of a pain to get up and going. It reminded me of how Redhat was about 10 years ago. Once I got it up and running the way I wanted, I thought it was a pretty good distro, but the ease of Ubuntu is very refreshing.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Ubuntu is... I don't know. I used it and it was alright for some stuff, but not having root and so on, was annoying. For ease of use, Mandriva and SUSE are really hard to beat. Both are incredibly easy to work with and on.

Admittedly I'm biased because Ubuntu is the first distro I actually learned well. I've grown comfortable with sudo. I'll give Mandriva a fair shot though just to see what I'm missing.

Hmmm,

From the original post:

Dubbed "Fix it for me," the tool is an adjunct to some of the support documents that Microsoft posts to its Knowledge Base (KB), the company's online collection of hot fix guidelines and trouble-shooting instructions. Those KB documents that include the automated support boast a button labeled "Fix it."
    From that I deduce that the topic is Windows and the support thereof?

Might I respectfully request that we try to keep threads on topic, particularly in these recessionary times when implications might well be very OS focused?