Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail issue

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Mail issue

Hey guys,

Strange one for you.

Setup:

64bit 2003 running exchange 2007. Fully updated. Each employee has an exchange account and 2 pop account for mail.

I have implemented a password policy and after doing this (I dont know if this is the cause) all the employees are getting errors when sending out on the pop accounts. If I use "My outgoing server requires auth" I get an error saying cannot relay. If I take it off I get an error suggesting that the person does not have permission to send as this sender.

The exchange account is fine, can send & recive on it.

What could be the problem. I say again that I think it was jsut coincedence that this happened when we implemented password policy.

Oh ya, the Workstations are a mix of Vista and XP.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    What email client are they using?
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

I vaguely remember a similar problem when we migrated to Exchange 2007.

There are several posts in the MS Knowledge base that dealt with corruption of registry re: saved POP passwords for clients using Outlook or Outlook Express. As per the KB, we deleted and recreated their Outlook profile and the problem was resolved.
    Last edited by Cheap Scotch Ron; February 6th, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Using Outlook 2007 sp1.

I am one of the affected people , ill give it a go and then give some feedback.

Thanks CSR.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Yes, recreating the profile worked here as well. Also, force replication on the Domain Controller...
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Thanks, I will recreate my profile and force replication.
    Will give feedback on Monday.
    Albert Einstein

Well Well Well,

I have recreated the profile but still the same effects. Now I hear from the idiots that have been here , that this problem has always been and the only way to overcome this was to put the affected users as a domain admin???????

Hmm - any suggestions?
    Albert Einstein

Need some more info in order to be able to make further suggestions.

When you say pop account, do you mean a pop server within your domain or outside your domain?

What SMTP server are you using for the pop accounts? For exchange?
    e.g. Hub transport within Exchange 2007. If within Hub Transport, how is it configured? Properties?

Depending on the configuration of the smtp gateway, you may not be able to route all outbound traffic through it.

You might consider configuring two. One for exchange using DNS MX records and one for pop using smart host. or if the pop servers are outside your domain, use the smtp gateway of your ISP for the pop accounts.
    Last edited by Cheap Scotch Ron; February 9th, 2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: fat fingers=typos

Sounds like you are trying to use your windows credentials to access the smtp gateway for your outbound pop mail. You need to either configure the smtp gateway to accept all outbound mail using the AD credentials or use a second smtp gateway (either within your domain or external) with a respective set of credentials.

Dose that make sense?

Hi there,

Alright this is what I have found out.

Basically we don't "POP" , everything is run through our exchange connector. To get around the issue of using the exchange connector using profile credentials for our mail, we setup additional mailboxes on the workstations using smtp/pop purely so we can send email as a specific group. When people then reply on that mail it comes to the group setup and not the individual.
    We have disabled mail retrieval on the pop accounts.

I am getting the information from someone in the office who knows more than me concerning exchange so bear with me if I sound confusing.

Thanks for helping me

EDIT:

However if I put myself in the domain admin group or local admin group on the exchange server I am able to send mail out otherwise I get errors (check beginning of post).

Albert Einstein