Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blank blue screen after sign on screen

I am afraid your link doesn't work

What make of computer is this? If it is a brand name like HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo or whatever you are probably limited, and will need to get recovery disks from them.

If it is a small builder or DIY job then you should be able to do a repair install using a similar XP CD and your COA.

What intrigues me is the blue screen. Normally in these circumstances I would expect it to be black with possibly a little white cursor in the top left corner.

• A BSOD always comes with an error message in white characters.

• The fact that you can get into things via Task Manager tells me that Windows has loaded.

• This suggests to me that the problem is with loading the desktop, and, as it is the same for all users this is the general desktop handling mechanism, not the user profile.

Try going into <display properties> and <desktop>. Down the bottom tight you will see a box labeled "color". Is the default blue the same colour as you get on bootup?.................it is not as bright as a BSOD

As it will only take a few minutes, you might try changing the theme, desktop and wallpaper and see if that has any effect.

Another thing I would try is hitting the Windows Key + R. This should bring up the run prompt (if not go through Task Manager). Type sfc /scannow run it (note the space and double "n").

You will need an XP installation CD of the same type (Pro/Home & SP), and it will prompt you to insert one.

You should get the message:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache"

It will then run the Windows systems file check and hopefully fix any problems.

sorry forgot an 's' - www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm look for Number 195.
    It is a Dell. I will try your suggestions regarding the properties.
    as far as the sfc /scannow - they cannot find the install or recovery disks. it looks like they are going to need to buy them before this is fixed. but i will try a few more things first.

Yeah, that might work, as it does seem to be a general problem with loading the wallpaper and icons?

As you have a Dell, would you just check in your root directory for this:

C:\I389

If you have that folder it is a copy of the XP installation CD. When sfc /scannow asks for the CD, point it at that directory and it should work

AOs Resident Troll
    You dont really need to buy the disk...you just need a copy of an XP install disk for recovery....any old one will do.

If you were going to reinstall a copy of an OEM XP disk will do...as you have the key on the sticker.

Sometimes they will have a recovery partition on the harddrive...a boot disk will confirm this.

Be very carefull using the recovery from Dell...sometimes it will format the drive.

Best to copy the data and off the drive...format and reinstall is sometimes the fastest most affective approach.

MHO

Tami
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Be very carefull using the recovery from Dell...sometimes it will format the drive.
    Yes I have seen that sort of thing with several other OEMs. They consider "recovery" to mean restoring the system to its ex-factory state, and they often didn't warn you that that would be what would happen

That's why I suggested looking for the I386 folder.

If you were going to reinstall a copy of an OEM XP disk will do...as you have the key on the sticker.
    That's the "system builder's" version, not the OEM one that sometimes ships with preinstalled software machines from Dell, HP and the others. They generally check manufacturer and model.

AOs Resident Troll
    Yes you are right Nihil...the system builder OEM is what I am talking about.

It will install on pretty well anything as long as you have an OEM key.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

HJT - all entries deleted based on suggestions herein.

Cannot find C:\I389 (or I386)

Cannot find control panel through task manager or manually searching c: drive.

kellys-korner tweak also did not fix the issue.

At this stage I would get an OEM System Builders' copy of XP and try sfc /scannow

Obviously, the retail version is the best, as it will run on anything.

How to tell?................... just look under the Windows XP 1-2 Processors heading on the COA label on the donor machine. If it says "OEM Product" it is OK. Also the CD shouldn't have any brand name on it other than Microsoft.

Have you managed to get the current installation authenticated by Microsoft?

EDIT:

I am guessing that C:\WINDOWS\ doesn't have the file explorer.exe in it?

Try copying the file from a working XP2 installation and installing it there.

You might even try this from M$................. it even has one of those fancy new Billygoat Gates will fix it buttons.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402

It won't work because something (probably some anti-malware crapware) has deleted it or moved it into quarantine. However, please do try it just to prove the point.
    Last edited by nihil; February 14th, 2009 at 09:40 AM.

your right, it did not work.
    i will try to get a hold of XP install CD and go from there.

My thanks to all who have tried to help resolve. I will keep everyone updated.
    Len

Good luck!

You might first try copying explorer.exe from an XP SP2 machine and rebooting.

Otherwise download SP3 to a CD/DVD or stick drive and try installing that. It might work as it replaces the SP2 version of explorer.