February 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
OK, as the question is about "tools" I will leave out day to day applications that I mentioned earlier.
I will also assume that we have an already built machine that has or did have a functional operating system, which I will also assume is Windows (as it is the most common).
1. DBAN (Darik's Boot & Nuke) or Eraser
2. HDD Manufacturer's Diagnostics (eg. WD Data Lifeguard)
4. Auslogics Disk Defrag or Diskeeper Lite
5. Auslogics Registry Defrag
8. Secunia PSI
6. PC Inspector task manager
7. Spybot S&D
9. Online scanners (eg Panda)
11. Bionic CPU Peeker
12. Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
14. Disk Investigator
17. Ultimate Boot CD
18. Disk Heal
1. PC Inspector File Recovery
2. PC Inspector Smart Recovery
4. Undelete Plus
5. Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier
6. Disk Investigator
7. Ultimate Boot CD
SYSTEM INFORMATION & OTHER TOOLS
1. SiSoft SANDRA
2. Belarc Advisor
3. Auslogics System Information
4. Fresh Diagnose
Obviously there are many tools that perform similar functions, I have tried to restrict myself to those where you can get a copy that is free for private use.
Last edited by nihil; February 16th, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?
By Nokia in forum Tips and Tricks
Last Post: June 12th, 2004, 05:13 PM
By Tiger Shark in forum The Security Tutorials Forum
Last Post: March 15th, 2004, 09:43 PM
By gore in forum Operating Systems
Last Post: March 7th, 2004, 07:02 AM
By Soda_Popinsky in forum Web Security
Last Post: February 15th, 2004, 02:19 AM
By emPtYKnOw in forum Newbie Security Questions
Last Post: April 10th, 2003, 12:56 PM