Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Line Harassment

under this circumstance I'd have to agree. But when say you tried messing with me = no harrassment.

Banned
    None of this is really like taking advantage of a death in someone's family. Or beating the hell out of people and putting it up on youtube though.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dinowuff View Post
    Ok MsM

You female, me male.

Say one evening you and I were going to have a long term, meaningful, overnight relationship.

However, upon my disrobing you started laughing so hard that you passed out.

Ashamed I set out to inform the Internet that you are unreceptive to males.

So I use my vast 411 people search skills and find every online forum - social network.

I get your "friends" to join my social network.

Then I bomb everything with my made up details of that evening we spent together.

How are you going to respond, if at all

Oh yea I do this constantly but not to the point of "SPAMMING" the boards.

P.S. "It may be an inch, but it's an angry inch"
    Uh huh. And? It's still your issue.

If I change my name and email, letting my "friends" know what happened, it's very likely it'll stop there. That's not harassment. That's you being an ass.

But.. if you continue, stalk, etc. Then, that's harassment.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I think the problem with harassment is that it is almost impossible to define what it is (i.e. what are the boundaries between harassment and a joke or harassment and an annoyance). Since there are no real firm definitions it is really a subjective thing which makes it hard to police.

My personal opinion is that there is online harassment, something that makes an individual uncomfortable enough for them to have to change or modify the way they live their life (what websites they visit etc) could be considered harassment (this is only my opinion). I don't think anyone has the right to make others feel uncomfortable or unsafe, be that when they are online or otherwise.

<Controversial Rant Section>

My observation is that there is a hell of a lot of people who in the online environment are more then happy to bully or harass others because they can hide behind the perceived anonymity and the fact that they are not located in close geographic proximity to the person they are bullying or harassing.
    If I was to be brutally unkind my guess would be that a lot of these people were probably physically bullied or harassed in "real life" and now take this out against others online because of the relative safety and anonymity that the internet and online channels provide for the bullies/perpetrators of harassment.
    I have seen it a number of times in the past on this site, individuals who post with the underlying tones in their post of "Why am I wasting my time replying to this rubbish, this person is so stupid and doesn't belong here, and I am definitely smarter then you, idiot"
    But I am not targetting this site, I have observed this on many forum type sites.

</Controversial Rant Section>

Lets say that individual A feels bullied (i.e. made to feel uncomfortable) by individual B online. Perhaps this bullying should be considered harassment only after individual A informs individual B that they feel harassed/bullied. If individual B continues to do it then I think this is harassment because B is aware that A is uncomfortable yet chooses to continue.

This is good in theory but unfortunately some people are not comfortable telling others how they feel or if they think they are being bullied so in practice it may not be appropriate.

I don't think there are any real "answers" here but I think it is a good and healthy debate

I would say that there is certainly such a thing as online (please read "internet") harassment.

If I bombard someone with telephone calls or poison pen letters via snailmail then I am harassing them, am I not?..............sooooo...........if I bombard them with texts from my cellphone I am also harassing them? Therefore if I bombard them with e-mails, I am harassing them via the internet?

QED

The internet is a means of communication; and if you have a means of communication, you have the wherewithal for harassment.

I think that dinowuff's objection is really about whether the internet is such a radically different form of communication as to constitute a special form of harassment.

If I post something on a blog or whatever it isn't that different from flyposting or distributing leaflets is it?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    I think that dinowuff's objection is really about whether the internet is such a radically different form of communication as to constitute a special form of harassment.
    Exactly my point, almost.

Neg suggested that perhaps posting my name on multiple gay sites may hurt future or current employment. I say no.

What if Neg calls my H.R. department and states that I'm gay and implies that my lifestyle preference includes illegal acts?

Neg and Gore come and beat me senseless because I posted their Internet Info on various gay lover social sites. The ass whooping is videotaped and played on youtube.

How is that harassment? The video, not the ass kicking. Well actually the actual ass kicking isn't harassment. Anyway...

Stalking an individual using the Internet is not harassment. The Internet is a tool. You can use this tool to find ways to harass people. But you can't DIRECTLY harass anyone using the Internet.

Perhaps someone has an example to prove different.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

But you can't DIRECTLY harass anyone using the Internet...... Perhaps someone has an example to prove different.
    Sure; I work on the principle that the internet is basically a communications medium, so can be used for harassment like any of the older media.

For example:

Poison pen letter = hate e-mail
    Libelous publication = libelous blog or forum post
    Dog turd through letterbox = virus/malware

And so on?

What I am saying is that there is nothing particularly special about internet harassment with the possible exception of malware, and even that is just a variation on an old theme.
    Last edited by nihil; February 26th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.

Well, I am not sure if you would constitute it as harassment, but the-spec brought up a good point about framing someone that already has a record for computer crime, by releasing malware using their name/handle. Who are the authorities going to believe? Even if they weren't convicted, the investigation would definitely not be enjoyable.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hmmmm,

framing someone that already has a record for computer crime, by releasing malware using their name/handle.
    Would they really use their previous ID?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hmmmm,

Would they really use their previous ID?
    Good point. But you can't underestimate the stupidity of script kiddies. :-P
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST