Thread: Cisco 857W + Hawaiian Tel ADSL 11Mbps

Cisco 857W + Hawaiian Tel ADSL 11Mbps

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've come on here. I just picked up this Cisco 857W router with built in ADSL. I actually only picked it up because I figured it would be cool to finally own my own Cisco router and it wasn't very expensive, picked it up new for $200. I later picked up Hawaiian Tel ADSL, wont be activated until the 7th of March. I know that I could probably just set it up and use Hawaiian Tel's ADSL modem, but I figure that if I have the equipment, I might as well.

I spoke to a Hawaiian Tel rep for technical help and said I had my own ADSL modem built into my router and didn't see information in my package that states the PPOE authentication information. According to her, there is no username and password, also they don't use PAP or CHAP.

I also wanted to know if any of you knew if my ADSL modem built into my Cisco router is compatible. I spoke to a guy who said that they use ADSL 2 and my router only uses 1. Kind of baffled my mind because I never knew there were different ADSL version. I do remember reading that ADSL was 8Mbps down and they claim that I should receive 11Mbps down. Maybe it's a newer version?

I was looking into it some more. Hawaiian Tel ADSL might be using RFC 1483 bridged authentication which is really no authentication at all. Basically anyone can tap this line and connect. I still have to see if my router is supported for their ADSL 2, if that is truely a standard.

I'm still not sure. If anyone knows for sure, let me know. My ADSL wont work until the 7th or possibly earlier if I"m lucky.

More info. I figured that I would keep adding on, just in case someone else with the same problem comes across this thread.

It looks like they're using ADSL2+, which is actually pretty cool. Here's a bit I just picked up off on wikipedia,

ADSL2+ extends the capability of basic ADSL by doubling the number of downstream bits. The data rates can be as high as 24 Mbit/s downstream and 1.4 Mbit/s upstream depending on the distance from the DSLAM to the customer's home.

ADSL2+ is capable of doubling the frequency band of typical ADSL connections from 1.1 MHz to 2.2 MHz. This doubles the downstream data rates of the previous ADSL2 standard of up to 12 Mbit/s, but like the previous standards will degrade from its peak bitrate after a certain distance.

Also ADSL2+ allows port bonding. This is where multiple ports are physically provisioned to the end user and the total bandwidth is equal to the sum of all provisioned ports. So if 2 lines capable of 24 Mbit/s were bonded the end result would be a connection capable of 48 Mbit/s. Not all DSLAM Vendors have implemented this functionality. ADSL2+ port bonding is also known as G.998.x or G.Bond

Now I'll just have to see if my Router can handle ADSL2+

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    The 857W supports ADSL2+.

Specs here...
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...d8028a982.html

Select your IOS version on the page below. This will redirect you to a page of doc links for your particular IOS version. The Configuration Guide contains IOS config examples. If you get stuck, post your questions/issues along with your config.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...ware/index.htm
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Thanks a lot Ron! I was doing some queries online and came across a site that said I needed ver 12.4 to use ADSL2+, I have 12.3. I can't really configure it right now, ADSL wont be installed until friday at the earliest and the 7th of next month at the latest.

I did see where they said it supported ADSL2+ though:

Q. Do the platforms support ADSL2/2+?
    A. The Cisco 857, 876, and 877 routers support ADSL2/2+ standards.

I'm just wondering if it also matters what IOS you're running.

I got the option to change to adsl2+

Router(config)#inte atm 0
    Router(config)#dsl operating-mode ?
    adsl2
    adsl2+
    ansi-dmt
    auto
    itu-dmt

maybe it will work. I'll let you guys know when I get the chance to finally set it up.

My bad guys, I was looking at the bootstrap version, which is Version 12.3(8r)YI2, but my IOS version is 12.4(6)T3, which is perfectly compatible.

Thanks for all my help. I'll add my configurations as soon as my router is configured, give me a week or so. I have to wait for my connection to be active.