Thread: HDD Recovery

HDD Recovery

Hey folks, I am looking for a good HDD recovery tool. I have heard quite a few good things about Spinrite, but was wanting to get a few more opinions. I will mainly be using it on PCs running XP, but may need it occasionally for Macs. Currently we use Disk Warrior for our Macs. We also have a few machines with Linux on our network. I am hoping for one that isn't too hard on the budget, as we don't have much of one this year. Spinrite is $90 which sounds like a pretty good price.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Westin
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    I've used Recover My Files several times to recover data from windoze machines. slow, but does a very good job. nice because it allows you to search for particular files by extension/type.As I recall it was reasonably priced.

I used ddrescue once to recover some files that I accidently deleted from a linux server. it was included in opensuse 10.3 64bit dist and it's on knoppix as well. Easy to use.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Getdataback by Runtime Software is another good one. The NTFS version is about $80.

Hi Westin, happy New Year and all that

I would suggest that you look at "unstoppable copier" by roadkil

It takes a while to run (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) but it certainly works.......available in 'doze and *nix

http://www.roadkil.net/

Quote Originally Posted by KPryor View Post
    Getdataback by Runtime Software is another good one. The NTFS version is about $80.
    Thanks for the suggestion... The one advantage I see in spinrite over this one is that it works for multiple file systems.

I've used Recover My Files several times to recover data from windoze machines. slow, but does a very good job. nice because it allows you to search for particular files by extension/type.As I recall it was reasonably priced.

I used ddrescue once to recover some files that I accidently deleted from a linux server. it was included in opensuse 10.3 64bit dist and it's on knoppix as well. Easy to use.
    Recover my files looks pretty pricey... $300 for a technicians license.

I am guessing ddrescue is free?

I would suggest that you look at "unstoppable copier" by roadkil
    The price looks right on this one... I may give it a shot.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I can always count on AO.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Olla,

I have used Easy Recovery and File Scavenger many, many times and have found that mor often than none ER does the job pretty darn well. Also ER can do a RAW recovery - it does not care about file sytem type.

the other software you can have a look at is on Hiren's Boot Disc. There are a nice compilation of utils there that may suit your needs rather needs.

Good luck and please post comments of what you used and how it went.
    .....I rather not say....

Quote Originally Posted by bradlesliect View Post
    Olla,

I have used Easy Recovery and File Scavenger many, many times and have found that mor often than none ER does the job pretty darn well. Also ER can do a RAW recovery - it does not care about file sytem type.

the other software you can have a look at is on Hiren's Boot Disc. There are a nice compilation of utils there that may suit your needs rather needs.

Good luck and please post comments of what you used and how it went.
    hiren 9.0 contains getdataback and active undelete...i've used them both and i prefer getdataback