Thread: ITILv3 Foundations Training

ITILv3 Foundations Training

Last week I attended the official IT Service Management (ITILv3) Foundations training.
    The training is a 3 day boot camp, which covers the processes in the following ITIL areas
    1. Service Strategy
    2. Service Design
    3. Service Transition
    4. Service Operation

It is an excellent tutorial for everyone who wishes to advance his career into IT management. The topics touch both IT as well as business aspects of IT services.
    The list price of the course is large (more then 2000 USD), but the IFC (division of World Bank) is subsidising of co-financing the courses. So look for these subsidised courses, which include the official certification exam.
    Anyone wanting more info, PM me or post to this forum

Awesome. Lucky guy. My company pushed for this and gave me some online training which was horrible. No offense to my British brothers out on the other side of the world, but I just can't learn when from people with British Accents. After an hour or so, I felt like I was sitting there with Dumbledorf teaching me.

After an hour or so, I felt like I was sitting there with Dumbledorf teaching me.
    That's your problem my friend; you don't understand how you learn. Typically your concentration will last for about 45 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    That's your problem my friend; you don't understand how you learn. Typically your concentration will last for about 45 minutes.
    Haha.. true. I did take some breaks in between, but I get your point. I was sort of rushed when it came to getting the ITIL cert. My goal for the year was the CCNA and a couple SONET certs (in house), but they ended up tacking the ITIL all last minute and gave me a month to do it! I finished the CCNA without a problem and was already taking some CCNP courses, so I was already pretty taxed for time. Long story short, had to watch as much as I could whenever time permitted.

A few of us ended up paying for this online course which had a bunch of practice exams. I ended up just going through the practice exams which seemed to be almost identical to what was on the exam! In and out of there in 13 minutes!

I doubt I'll ever use ITIL, but it looks like it's getting a big push and who knows if I'll need to take another one of those, as my British brothers would call it, "bloody" tests again.

Yes, I can certainly relate to that.

What I said wasn't intended to be in any way critical; its just that I think that it is important that you find out how you best learn things personally before embarking on these self-tuition courses. Even more so if they are of questionable quality

Back in my day most of these courses were paper based. What I tended to find that you would have long chapters dealing with various aspects of a certain area of the subject with a number of test questions at the end.

I found that by the time I had read through the chapter I had forgotten most of it. I figured out that the questions would be based on significant aspects of the chapter so I would photocopy them and do each one when I had finished reading the relevant section of the chapter. I seemed to be able to remember the stuff that way

Like yourself, I always found past papers and specimen questions the best way to learn............I guess that when you find that you do understand and can do it your confidence gets a boost?