I'm trying to install linux (pretty much any flavor I can get to work that'll run smooth for this situation) to a laptop I recently got, but everything I try still doesn't actually allow it to be installed. I'm thinking it must be boot options, but I'm not sure what they all mean. I've gotten errors like: "buffer i o error on device sr0" so I burned a new disk and verified it to make sure it was ok (I assumed it was a bad disk). The laptop is a pentium 400 Mhz (approx, can't remember exactly) and has 32mb ram. Obviously no graphical install will work, as well as installing something like kde or gnome. I tried the Ubuntu alternate disk, which i read can be used for old computers, as it doesn't use the graphical install, and allows you to install without Xorg. The disk seems to work, but after I get passed the point where it asks me info like what keyboard I'm using (US) it just hangs. The screen turns black, then the ubuntu brown, then back and forth. Are there any good boot parameters for a system like this (or what else can be done)? Also, I would like to have some sort of window system after the install. I was thinking Xfce, and if it can't handle it, fluxbox. Does anyone have any recommendations for me?