Thread: SmartSIP Provides Exciting Possibilities for OCS 2007 R2

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

SmartSIP Provides Exciting Possibilities for OCS 2007 R2

When Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 (OCS 2007 R2) was unveiled in February of this year, it signaled the beginning of the end for the PBX or IP PBX. That is just my opinion I suppose, but it at least signaled proverbial dropping of the gloves as Microsoft moves forward with plans to make the PBX obsolete.

One of the features of OCS 2007 R2 which signal the first step toward killing off the PBX is the ability to do direct SIP trunking- connecting a VoIP provider directly to OCS 2007 R2 without the need for a PBX appliance between them. This is good news, but not great news. The reason it is not great news is that Microsoft only has partnerships with two VoIP providers, severely limiting the potential of the direct SIP trunking feature.

That is where SmartSIP comes in. Evangelyze Communications, a global voice and unified communications products and professional services organization that specializes in Microsoft Unified Communications IP telephony products and services, has developed a suite of custom tools that extend the functionality of Microsoft OCS and open new possibilities for unified communications. One of those tools is SmartSIP.

According to a recent blog post from Mike Stacy, Director of Services for Evangelyze Communications, SmartSIP “will allow you to connect OCS with virtually any SIP system ...

Last edited by nihil; March 19th, 2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: removed link :)

Tony,

You may not remember me............. it was the last century

Why are you spamming my forum?

Hey. I replied to you elsewhere. I thought you had written this as a Private Message and I couldn't find it. Look for that other message from me.

IMHO, what makes this 'spam' is the trailing dots with the link as opposed to providing a complete thought / post for AO readers. I think that the SmartSIP technology itself, and pointing out Mike Stacy's post about it are fair game- but that is just my opinion.

I think that revising the post to include the entire text so that readers can read the entire thought without having to click to the other blog site would alleviate the 'spam' issue. I also think it would be fair game to embed a link within the text- as long as clicking that link is an option and not a requirement for getting the information intended by the post.

Thoughts? If my opinion of what is, or is not, spam is incorrect and you feel that either the posts themselves are out of bounds, or that it is out of bounds to include links of any sort, then so be it. That's why they pay you the big bucks to be the moderator. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

IMHO, what makes this 'spam' is the trailing dots with the link as opposed to providing a complete thought / post for AO readers. I think that the SmartSIP technology itself, and pointing out Mike Stacy's post about it are fair game- but that is just my opinion.

I think that revising the post to include the entire text so that readers can read the entire thought without having to click to the other blog site would alleviate the 'spam' issue. I also think it would be fair game to embed a link within the text- as long as clicking that link is an option and not a requirement for getting the information intended by the post.

Thoughts? If my opinion of what is, or is not, spam is incorrect and you feel that either the posts themselves are out of bounds, or that it is out of bounds to include links of any sort, then so be it.:-)
    Greetings.

Short and sweet.

In the future post the entire article not just a small proportion of it, with a link for users to click.

It comes off as though your are either Trying to generate traffic to your site, or advertise your site.

especially when you are using a url mask to hide the actual url to your site..

{uses bit.ly to mask the actual evangelyze.net url}
    {uses bit.ly to mask the actual evangelyze.net url}
    Before Nihil kindly removed the urls from these 10 threads they all appeared to be doing the same thing, get the reader's attention then if they wanted to read on, they had to click the link to http://xxx[.]evangelyze[.]net

Quote Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

That's why they pay you the big bucks to be the moderator. :-)
    Actually us mod's don't recieve a dime.. We are ALL Volunteer's.

Understood.

FWIW- the various posts point to at least two, possibly three different sources- not just my Evangelyze blog. I used BitLy just to make the link length manageable, not to obfuscate.

As for the 'big bucks' comment- that was totally tongue in cheek. I appreciate the work you guys put in as a volunteer effort.

Thanks for the feedback.