Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB 3.0?

USB 3.0?

Been a long time since I posted, but I stumbled upon this,

http://www.techspot.com/news/34763-n...ontroller.html
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Raion View Post
    Been a long time since I posted, but I stumbled upon this,

http://www.techspot.com/news/34763-n...ontroller.html
    I can see it now... one day my entire digital life will be on a usb drive on my key chain... excellent.
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Godsrock37 View Post
    I can see it now... one day my entire digital life will be on a usb drive on my key chain... excellent.
    Just don't put it through the washing machine and you should be fine..

And yes i destroyed 3 usb thumbdrive thingy's last night. Lucky for me though i still had the original backups at work, other wise i would be spending the next few days browsing the situation vacant advertisements..

25GB in 70 seconds should be fast enough for anyone.

On Pauldotcom, they were saying that thousands of thumbdrives were found in DC area laundromats every year. Kind of scary! I would think, that if you just let them dry out before plugging them in, the data would have a good chance of surviving.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AOs Resident Troll
    yeap...just let them dry out...

They work just fine

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Does anyone not see the potential threat of everyone having their whole life on a USB stick?

Should invest in the IRONKEY encryption i fink ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    Does anyone not see the potential threat of everyone having their whole life on a USB stick?

Should invest in the IRONKEY encryption i fink ...
    Hey, why not? People already put their whole lives on Myspace/Facebook/Twitter etc.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

all we need now is Assisted Intelligence to go with it and a lil plug in the back of our head....
    then we can plug our usb drives in and our AI will hang out with us all day!

(p.s. is anyone else scared of this? this is one of my goals as a computer science/neuro science major and I'm scared to death I'll actually figure out how to do it)
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Hey Cider,

I certainly do................you could waste good beer money on one of them fancy USB drives. I can fit my whole life on a 3.5" floppy.............and someone just gave me a box of 50

As for the main topic of this thread; I think that it is great, but I would feel a lot happier if the physical USB connection were more precise and reliable.
    Last edited by nihil; June 1st, 2009 at 12:33 AM.

While all the numbers look impressive.. realise:

USB1.1 to 2 - 1MB/s to 30MB/s

And that was provided that you had a hispeed device/port not all supported.. but that said.. the speed improvement was Impressive (not breath taking)

While USB 2 to 3 - 30MB/s to 300MB/s

10 to 1 improvement.. sounds good.. BUT 30-1 sounds better.. all the GB/s sounds just impresses the consumers
    Also these specs are for a single port on a hub, as in the glancing reading I have done can I see where this is ALL ports loaded.. so if your doing a transfer from device to device.. on the same hub.. don't expect the full speed.. expect less than a third

So it is an expected upgrade.. but not earth shattering

what is interesting.. USB Monitors, PC's ie the netbooks will be able to be fully upgraded via a couple of USB3 ports HQ Sound, Video, Blueray burner, etc...

I'll see if USB4 has a hope of impressing... What we really need to is dump these antique 32bit systems.. get 64 fully adopted.. as 128bit is overdue for desktop
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr