Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista Side-by-Side woes..

Hybrid View

Vista Side-by-Side woes..

Hey all been a long time since i have been around. Work been keeping me busy most of the time so I suppose thats a goo thing. Anyone, right down to it shall I?

I have a brand new laptop, awsome as all get out and i Love it dearly and rely on it to work efficiently at all times. This hasnt been a problem until about 11am this morning. I pull it out of my bag, and start it up an now low and behold, nearly every program i try to run gives me a nice little error. The program failed to start because its side by side configuration file is inccorect. This is not limited to games like most of the internet post seem to point too. as a matter of fact there are no games installed on this machine except for the ones that gateway puts on them from the factory. This error shows up on media player, Internet explorer, outlook, an about everything else that is a 32 bit applicaiton. The reason i say 32 bit application is becasue it seems to be isolated to only programs that run in the "X86" directory. I am puzzled by this one an thought that maybe you guru's out there could give me some advice. I would rather not have to dump the thing, but i do understand that it may come down to that. But i figured i'd ask around first.

Thanks!

The Router
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

Cool

Update!
    I decided to run windows update since i hadnt done it yet. Guess what! It did not work either. Now i just get a horrible new error message. Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer. Im just having a peachy day....someone shoot me!
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

AOs Resident Troll
    I am a little confused.....this is a brand new laptop???...how "brand" new???

Is it 64bit version of Vista that you are running???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I belive that the version of vista is 64 bit. It is vista home, but it is on a very new laptop, it a gateway FX P series. here are the specs.

Gateway
    P-7805u
    Processor: P8400 Intel Dual Core 2.26
    4gb DDR3
    System type: 64-bit operating system
    Geforce 9800m GTS 1gb

so it's a very nice laptop.

As for removing Visual C++ my question on that is since i cant use it to get on the internet since i get the error with Internet explorer what harm am i going to do to it if I delete that impaticular program? But for giggles where abouts will this Visual C++ be located on the machine? Will i be able to download it to a flash drive an load it that way?

Many thanks for your support!

TheRouter

Quote Originally Posted by TheRouter View Post
    Update!
    I decided to run windows update since i hadnt done it yet. Guess what! It did not work either. Now i just get a horrible new error message. Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer. Im just having a peachy day....someone shoot me!
    can you delete _all_ of Windows Update files through control panel and try windows update again?

you could try:

1. Remove or repair Visual C++
    2. Reboot
    3. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displayLang=en
    4. reboot; post results

Your problem is not unique. In fact many people solved the above by reinstalling the VC++ components Vista is based on. I don't use Vista but will support it for a 5-figure paycheck. Put that on a CDR or flashdrive. If you can add problems through control panel, just point it to the executable. I'm giggling because you would rather reformat your machine; and you didnt goto the official website that solved others problems.. You answered your own question but afraid to do it.

Here's the new issue. I can not get the VC++ to uninstall and I can not get the new DL to run either. What should I try now?

TheRouter

Quote Originally Posted by TheRouter View Post
    Here's the new issue. I can not get the VC++ to uninstall and I can not get the new DL to run either. What should I try now?

TheRouter
    Since you are obviously using another computer, I will freely give u 39, 500 exact answers for this question.

http://tinyurl.com/cekskt

Ok, well i have tried these options to no avail. as for the post where LinenOise stated 39, 500 im not sure what he meant by that. yes i am on another computer so...as for the deletion of the windows update portion, I cant get into delete them because the uninstaller is a 32 bit application which is what i am having problems with as far as i can tell. I say this because i can run the 64 bit internet explorer but get no connection with it. If i could I might be able to do something, but for this instance im still in a sinking ship. Keep the ideas flowing you guru's.

Truly appreciated!

TheRouter