Thread: Windows 7 RC is OUT !

Windows 7 RC is OUT !

http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/e...?ITPID=mscomsl

Welcome to Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) testing. We’re on our way to Windows 7, and the RC is a great opportunity for IT professionals like you to take Windows 7 and begin testing it in your real environment. You get to see what’s coming, and we get to see if our changes and fixes from the Beta testing are working correctly. We want to encourage you to install and actively test the RC code. This will help us ensure Windows 7 is the best possible release, and help you get ready for Windows 7 deployment.
    PS : if anyone gets a direct link (from microsoft ONLY) please let us know ! Hate using the download manager !..

ALSO :

Today must be a full moon day! We have had several reports of strange malicious content on otherwise good websites. One of them is confirmed by Trend Micro.

The first is a fake/Trojanized Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) build release. The Trojan is being referred too as TROJ_DROPPER.SPX. From Trend Micro's Release:

"It is a self extracting executable that contains two executables: one is the original Windows 7 RC build named SETUP.EXE, and the other is CODEC.EXE. Trend Micro detects CODEC.EXE as TROJ_AGENT.NICE. When an unsuspecting user executes the Trojanized setup file, the embedded malware is also executed. As a result, malicious routines of the embedded file are exhibited on the affected system."

The full article can be found at:

threatinfo.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp

The second item is a possible infection your typical "your computer is infected, click here to scan and clean it" on the usatoday.com website. We have received more than one report of this but have not been able to confirm. We suspect if it indeed is there that it is an ad somewhere on their site. Several of the handlers have tried to find the offending ad and have so far been unsuccessful. We have contacted the appropriate individuals at usatoday.com to advise them of the reports.

If any of our other readers have seen this type of activity and can tell us what page were on and if a link or an ad was clicked on that triggered it we would like to hear from you so that we can pin point the problem and work with USAToday to get it cleaned up.

Other reports that we have received is that an adware program is being installed on computers when clicking on the link to get the free chicken coupon from Oprah's website. I have sent an email to the webmaster and have heard nothing back yet. The scary thing about the chicken coupon is that hundreds of people have downloaded this coupon. Just think of all of the computers that now have the malware installed. Again I can't confirm this because I haven't tried to download the coupon and I haven't heard anything back from their webmaster.

If you have any information about this we would like to hear about it too.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Alright.. It seems I’m the only one to test it.. Or maybe interested to test it..

It's a 2.6 GB download.. The version given out is Test build 7100 - Windows 7 ultimate.

I've installed it on a VM (VMware is yet to officially support windows 7 and I think it might have a little hard time doing it too because of Microsoft’s jump into the virtualization market).. Anyway the VM has a 16 GB HDD (Please keep in mind Microsoft recommends 20 GB free space), I’ve created on a external HDD with 1 GB of RAM and single core processor..

Now this is the surprising part as of now, even when I turn on aero I still have around 500 MB FREE RAM ! I'm really surprised at this and I think Microsoft has done great job in keeping the system low on hogging recourses..

I'll update my post here as I go along testing it (security aspect mainly).. This version is free till next year march or may so i think for those who want can actually test it as primary os !
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Greetz..

I did download and have it running on a spare machine, currently i'm playing around and attempting to install on a EeePc just to see if i can.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTeWrangler View Post
    I've installed it on a VM (VMware is yet to officially support windows 7 and I think it might have a little hard time doing it too because of Microsoft’s jump into the virtualization market)..
    Why?

Just because MS is jumping into the market won't stop us from supporting it. In fact, that gives us even more reason to support it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Why?

Just because MS is jumping into the market won't stop us from supporting it. In fact, that gives us even more reason to support it.

.. hahahaa.. TRUE TRUE TRUE !!

Although don't forget when Microsoft started its project of antimalware and firewall (2 way protection [excluding vista and above]) it gave all rival developers a hard time with code sharing and availability.. A## :|
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.