Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error on Server

AOs Resident Troll
    Why not try HP support seeing its an HP server???

Wouldnt they be the one replacing the drive??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by yuris View Post
    I never used this program in my life, so i prefer to ask than to screw up. This was a very strange error, the drive that failed, is again working, and i managed to perform a rebuild. It is at this time rebuilding, i will post the result at the end.

The adaptec suport is not working, at least for free, you have to pay $199 to ask for suport.

Thanks for you thoughts guys.

Best Regards.
    With linux, I would of taken your new HDD, mirrored all the available partitions tables using sfdisk (Partition table manipulator for Linux), format(optional), add it to the array as a spare, and fail\remove the non-functioning drive to send back to vendor after securitywiping. Make linux produce a serial number for the drive and label the HDD enclosure so the next operator can figure you out. Next read the raid log for errors and then claim 8hours for a 2hour fix. Document as you go.

For support: try newsgroups, HP Forums, google and even Youtube videos!
    Last edited by Linen0ise; May 26th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.

I don't know how it works in that side of the world, but here, i have to pay for support, i have to pay the flight, hotel, and his service. Very Very expensive.

I have logged in to the server, and it's still rebuilding. it's going up to 82% so for so good.
    But i still understand what cause it.
    I have 2 UPS 1000W, the power has been fixed (used to have some problems).
    The light of the drive is still amber, but working fine.
    To bad this server wasn't equipped with Hot Swap, that would be nice, problems solved in no time.

It's the some old problem, they want the system to work fine, but don't want to spend money :s

later i will check the server again, and i will post here.

Thanks.
    Best Regards.

Rebuild finished. RAID Status Optimal, but i have S.M.A.R.T error on the Drive. This seams a bad block.
    I sent a e-mail for HP asking if they have a tool able to repair bad blocks or allocate them without losing data. The raid is optimal, i don't predict to lose any data during the sector repair.

If HP don't have some tool for it, i will run the Scan and Fix from the Adaptec Raid controller.
    Or you guys think that enabling the windows Scan & fix would be enough?

Thanks.

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by yuris View Post
    I don't know how it works in that side of the world, but here, i have to pay for support, i have to pay the flight, hotel, and his service. Very Very expensive.
    Next time you buy a server, buy it with a proper support contract. Yes, you pay money for it but it'll pay for itself if you run into problems.

It's the some old problem, they want the system to work fine, but don't want to spend money :s
    That's probably because they haven't been made clear what they are paying for.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    Wow...I have had support from both MS and Dell ....remotely.

I had to pay for MS....it was an exchange thing....well worth it..they worked with me until the issue was resolved. Had another issue with SQL due to a patch and the support fee was reversed.

but Dells was part of the purchase agreement...

When selling servers...cost out down time for them...they will see the light

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

It shocks me even now how anyone would NOT pay for the support on a server. I don't care how knowledgeable I am about any hardware / Software combo of servers I have, I know enough to know I don't know it all, and that school isn't going to spoon feed me every possible situation I'll ever come into working on Computers, and would make sure there was a support service contract of some sorts to get through issues you can't help.

What part of the World makes you pay for Hotels for tech support exactly? I don't think I've ever heard of that....And fixing something that should be under a contract when you aren't sure how to and are basically guessing as to what the problem is, could end up causing more damage than what you're able to handle.

Someone already said that the next server you buy should have support, so I don't need to say that again, but if you really aren't sure what the problem seems to be and are trying to fix this thing with Windows Scandisk and checks, I don't think you'll need to wait to long for that new server.

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    It shocks me even now how anyone would NOT pay for the support on a server.
    Me too, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen EVERY day.

Not that I support the idea (I dont) of no support contract, but I've been at clients who think (mistakenly) it's more cost effective NOT to have a service contract. Point is, this "may" be out of yuris' control. He may just be the tech assigned to "fix it".

If that is the case, these are the situations where you let it break and teach them (the man) the lesson. If the data is that invaluable, then certainly a support agreement is cheap insurance and a reasonable expense to mitigate the risk.

Clearly, yuris is in over his head. All I am trying to point out is that it "may" not be his doing. The mean old boss may have put him up to it.

You bastards and bitches.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Scotch Ron View Post
    Me too, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen EVERY day.

Not that I support the idea (I dont) of no support contract, but I've been at clients who think (mistakenly) it's more cost effective NOT to have a service contract. Point is, this "may" be out of yuris' control. He may just be the tech assigned to "fix it".

If that is the case, these are the situations where you let it break and teach them (the man) the lesson. If the data is that invaluable, then certainly a support agreement is cheap insurance and a reasonable expense to mitigate the risk.

Clearly, yuris is in over his head. All I am trying to point out is that it "may" not be his doing. The mean old boss may have put him up to it.

You bastards and bitches.
    I kind of hinted at that "Show them why it's important to have support" with the new server coming soon comment I don't know why management all seem to think cheaper is always better, but the idea of mission critical anything not having support, scares the crap out of me. I'd personally try to talk to someone to get support so this kind of thing doesn't make a company lose everything, I mean yea, they cut corners it seems, but everyone makes mistakes.

As for bastards and bitches, well, I'm both (Not in the dictionary sense on that second one heh).

SirDice, it's not me who have the money, i can do recommendation, but it's not my word that stands.
    I already run it to these problems before, never had much trouble to fix it.
    They know what they are paying for. The servers have been working flawless for 6 strait years. All the problems that showed up, i fixed them, didn't need for hp support.
    So there is money saved here, and that is what the boss want, it is his call. I'm an employee, must do what he says.

gore, i live in a small island where i don't have no support on Servers, Networks, Datacenters, etc. I only have support on printers, laptop's, workstations.
    If i want some other support, i must ask for a technician to come to the island, and i have to pay for everthing i said.

In this matter my experience says: I have a bad block on the drive, i SHOULD REPLACE IT. and take the "damaged" drive and perform a low level format and check again for bad blocks. But i would like to know if there is something that i can do, to make this drive to work fine again. Is those options valid? I'm just asking for opinions, trade some experiences, if you already done something like it, and what was the result.

I'm not asking, if my boss is right or wrong, or how are my skills. Don't take me wrong, but that is not what is the issue here, so i ask you please to be objective.

In here i have limited money resources, and there's a lot of thinks wrong, power source, servers room, environment temperature, etc. if i had resources i would do things different, but i can't

I also do support for another company, and installed a database server, a domain server, i had everything i asked for, and it's working fine for 10 years, it would be wonderful if everything was like that, but it's not.

Tell me your thoughts regarding the SMART error on the drive.
    Thanks.