Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with run32dll.exe error

Help with run32dll.exe error

Hi All,

Its been a while.....

Using winXP with SP2 installed. AVG is installed and updated. For some strange reason the error below appears when I try to access my printers or when i try to access "add/remove progs" from the control panel.

"Rundll32.exe - Application Error
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000033). Click on OK to terminate the application."

What could be causing this error? I cannot access add/remove to see what has been installed and try to uninstall it...

Please help....
    .....I rather not say....

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    1) Check Event log
    2) Run scandisk
    3) Run chkdsk /r
    4) Update to SP3 and patch the system.

For a short term you could try running sfc /scannow from command line to fix corrupted files.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I will try the 3 suggestions above...

...to run the short term fix from cmd line, do I have to reboot into cmd mode or can i just open a cmd and run the command?

What could have caused this problem? machine has been running fine and this just occured all of the sudden.
    .....I rather not say....

Nah, Just start > run "cmd" or start > all programs > accessories > "command prompt"

and at the command prompt jsut type sfc /scannow

I think you may need the XP CD to do this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Does it happen in safe mode??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Right click on "My Computer" and select manage.
    Then on the left hand pane expand Event Log and click on the application subsection.
    Look for any Red X's or Yellow !'s that list run32dll.exe as the source (this may be under the system subsection, I cannot recall exactly where run32dll.exe errors get logged.)

Paste the results here. I imagine that some process or service is calling a dll to be run that is corrupt. I can't imagine what process it might be with both printers and add/remove.

A couple of favourites are malware and Registry corruption.

Try Malwarebytes' and A-Squared as they pick up stuff that a more traditional AV product such as AVG will not.

For the Registry you can try CCleaner and Eusing, but make sure that you back up the Registry.

Nihil,

I have never had a registry gone bang after Ccleaning it or whatever.

If it does, will it allow you to boot into normal mode / safe mode to back it up?

Never happened to me before so would know.

Thanks
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

I think that you will find that any decent Registry Cleaning tool will have a backup and restore facility. This usually reverses the changes you made in chronological order with the latest changes being the first to be restored.

There is an underlying assumption that you will be able to get into Windows and run this utility. I think that is reasonable as no Registry cleaning tool should offer to make changes that would prevent Windows from booting.

CCleaner prompts you to make a backup before it applies the changes you have selected.

Eusing does it automatically in the background. If you look at the "File" option in the menubar it has a "Backup Full Registry" facility. This can be saved anywhere you specify and creates a .reg file.

Another option in that drop down menu takes you to the Windows Backup utility. There you could save the whole drive and create a system recovery disk.

Hope that helps

Hey there,

I do backup. Was just wonderning if it really fooked up the system, could i just boot into safe mode, run the registry tool, pull the backup created and reboot thus reversing the effects.

If you manually edit the registry but make a backup before. You couldnt boot into windows. Would you jsut run a repair ot boot into a command prompt and then copy the backup "back" ... always thought about it.
    Albert Einstein