Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlook .pst Emergency

Outlook .pst Emergency

I know this is not the proper forum but you guys are so knowledgeable and it's an emergency so here goes.

Over the weekend I migrated a company's email from pop3 to imap and exchange. On one of the machines transferring to imap I moved the contents of the pop3 pst to the imap pst. The new server hadn't been pointed to by the DNS yet. These files were just supposed to copy to the pst folder and then replicate once the DNS was in place. After this was done, the emails did not show up in the inbox folder but the empty pst had grown to 1.7GB. How can I access these files?

I know I should have checked the backup, which had apparently failed, before making the changes. Any help would be well appreciated.
    sandwich.

Greetz..

Maybe try this>
    Using the Inbox Repair Tool
    To fix corrupted PST files, you can use the Inbox Repair Tool. However, the tool isn’t always able to repair every PST file. It works by repairing the PST file’s header and then deleting anything in the file that it doesn’t understand. So if a PST file’s header is damaged, as may be the case for corruption that occurs during a version upgrade, the tool should have no trouble making the repair. But if the data within the file is corrupt, the Inbox Repair Tool will likely destroy what’s left of the file. That's why it's always good to make a backup of the PST file before running the Inbox Repair Tool.

The Inbox Repair Tool is located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT directory of any system that’s running Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The tool’s filename is Scanpst.exe. Other versions of Windows also include the Inbox Repair Tool, but the tool’s location varies among these earlier versions.
    Make a copy of the .pst file/s and run the Scanpst.exe on 1 of the copy's, that way if it don't work you still have a untouched version to play with.

I tried that and nothing came up. Also tried importing and creating a new account and importing.
    sandwich.

AOs Resident Troll
    On one of the machines transferring to imap I moved the contents of the pop3 pst to the imap pst
    I dont understand this statement. How did you "move" the pst??

Did you import the pst into the new mailbox???

What version of outlook are we talking about?? And what is your IMAP server??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I moved the contents of the inbox folder from the pop3 account pst inside of outlook 2007 into the imap inbox in the same profile (drag and drop). When it was done, the emails were not visible in the new inbox folder but the pst file was 1.25GB. This was done before the DNS pointed to the new server so server side nothing was happening, just locally to the pst. The imap server is through rackspace.com.
    sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberB0b View Post
    I moved the contents of the inbox folder from the pop3 account pst inside of outlook 2007 into the imap inbox in the same profile (drag and drop). When it was done, the emails were not visible in the new inbox folder but the pst file was 1.25GB. This was done before the DNS pointed to the new server so server side nothing was happening, just locally to the pst. The imap server is through rackspace.com.
    It might sounds crazy, but drag 'n drop it back.. disable the dns, move it, re-enable and see if it works...

AOs Resident Troll
    you said you tried importing the pst???

Did you click the box import into same folder (or something like that....)
    I have imported into a folder in the profile before??

Is outlook pointing to the right pst\profile??

Sorry...I am a bit confused.
    is this going from one machine to another??

how I usually do this is export all folders to a pst then reimport once connected to the exchange. I am not familar with drag and dropping the pst from pop3 to imap.

I would copy the pst to a safe place. uninstall outlook totally...reboot..reinstall outlook...connect to your new server..then import the pst.

MLF

Greetz.

Download this App, the Demo version should still be able to import/export

http://www.backsettings.com/outlook-backup.html

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    you said you tried importing the pst???

Did you click the box import into same folder (or something like that....)
    I have imported into a folder in the profile before??

Is outlook pointing to the right pst\profile??

Sorry...I am a bit confused.
    is this going from one machine to another??

MLF
    It is the same machine and same Outlook profile. The profile contains the POP3 email account (with it's own PST) and the IMAP account (with it's own PST). I just dragged from one inbox folder to the other inbox folder. When it was done copying, there was no sign of the emails except for the fact that the PST file that was being copied to was much larger.

I also tried creating a brand new Outlook profile and imported the IMAP PST to see if it would see the transferred emails and add them but it did not.

@t34b4g5 Thanks for the link. I will try this tomorrow. I can't drag and drop it back because the emails are not visible. I moved the emails instead of copying (I stupidly figured if there was any problem I could pull the backup), so the only copy of the emails is in the new PST.
    sandwich.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well sounds like the email is there...in a subfolder. expand all the folders in outlook

What I dont get is why not just add the imap settings to the same profile...why all this drag and droping stuff??

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; June 9th, 2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling as always