Thread: Monitor Resolution? Linux OS-Kanotix

Monitor Resolution? Linux OS-Kanotix

Hey Guys/Gals,

Ok, here is the issue. I set up a Kanotix box. No problems. Set up fine. However, I set it up on a 20" Monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200 I believe. Anyway, the person I set it up for took it with them to another state to run it as a server and I will administer it from a far if needed.

Anyway, when she went to hook it up, it goes through the boot up process but stops with an error that says "Display out of range. Please lower your resolution to 1600 by 1200."

Now this person has tried 3 different monitors. All various Dell LCD's. I have looked at the specs of these monitors and none of them seem to support that high of a resolution.

So, the question is, can I stop the gui from starting and boot right to the command line so I can raise the resolution to a resolution that is acceptable to at least one of these monitors?

do I have to have this person buy another monitor?

Is this even the issue? Or am I off base?

It was working fine before the move with the monitor I originally set it up on and does go through the boot up with out errors until the gui starts?

Thanks in advance!

Developer Extraordinar
    Any way you can paste you X.org config file (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf) to us?

You could try SCPing the file over to another machine, since you obviously can't access X. Alternatively, you could try SSHing in, and killing X. You can do this a number of ways... one of them might work. All of them might not.

Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop (or /etc/rc.d/gdm stop)
    /etc/init.d/X stop (or /etc/rc.d/X stop)
    killall -9 X
    killall -9 Xorg
    If none of those work, check the forums/wiki on how to disable Xorg through the CLI.

Hi Microburn,

Thank you much for the reply.

I am going to try that.

However, I have a issue in that, I can ssh into it probably, however, I have to instruct a person with no computer knowledge at all, much less Linux.

I thank you in your suggestions and will give it a shot but I don;t even know the IP so I can tunnel into the router so I can open the port to SSH in. SO I need a way to boot to CLI and have them run ifconfig so I can see the get the IP so I can open the port and ssh in.

The Server is 1400 miles away with someone who hasn;t a clue about this stuff. I tried to fight it but this person owns the company and wants "control"

I know it sucks and yes, its a mess. Please know I tried to fight this tooth and nail. Knowing also my bandwidth is 20 times faster(literally) and this server is located now on an island with the worst ISP in the country, which is another reason I tried to keep it with me.

See my issue? Management at it's finest. Unfortunately, it's a family member that has a huge control issue right now and is having a life crisis. Having said that, I need to help them.

Any further or more advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance....again.

Developer Extraordinar
    You could try booting into single user mode by appending
    Code:
    single
    onto the kernel line.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...EZF2_inxcO0bAg

Or something similar for Lilo

Ahhh, that is a great idea and I feel guilty that I didn't find that in my research.

Thank you MIcroBurn!

Because, actually, you just gave me an idea that you alluded to before...... I can tunnel through the windows box that is connected to the router....run a network discovery tool and find the ip of the Linux box and ssh in it from there.

FRom there I can make the changes that need to be made.

Thank you for giving me the bump in the head in regards to this.

Thanks again!