Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireshark

Wireshark

Hi All,

The age old question about network abuse and security. What is the better or recommended network monitoring tools out there to accurately monitor internet traffic ONLY going IN and OUT of a network? The only thing acting as the Firewall is the router. All internal addresses are being NATted and I need to see who is abusing the internet connection?

I have logs which show some DOS attacks but I also have logs that show 4-8Gb of downloads in a week.

The client primarily uses the internet connection to send email and has a staff compliment of about 6 and the only things they should be receiving or sending are architectural drawings.

I heard about wireshark but will it create a realtime log for me and would it be easy to analyse this log? Has anyone had any experience with wireshark? What are your views?

Looking for something simple but effective - I want to see connections, ports, downloads(if possible) and all the nice stuff to nail the suckers who've been making a sucker out of me!

Any help will do!

Thanks all!
    .....I rather not say....

Wireshark is a great tool.. But with lot of features come chances of vulnerability. I personally like the tool and I’m a fan of it. However I don't use it off the machine directly. You will not see real-time monitoring capability like a firewall showing you in simple GUI ports and apps using it or hosts using it (in your case) but will surely help you catch people..

I use TCPDump of Windump to capture traffic and use wireshark to analyze it..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Wire-shark gets quite messy but you can tone it down quite abit and just search for http traffic ...

im sure there are software packages out there to monitor though.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I also have logs that show 4-8Gb of downloads in a week.
    Are those really downloads or just traffic/bandwidth?

4-8Gb gives an average of 6Gb /6 people = 1Gb per week or 200Mb per day. That does not take very much to do with just a few Google searches, visiting a few customer/supplier websites and so on.

The place I would start is by looking at the browser logs/history, the favourites list and the cookies...............that will probably tell you all you need to know

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Haha Nihil, if someone is downloading on the sly im sure they would of removed cookies and favourites ....
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Haha Nihil, if someone is downloading on the sly im sure they would of removed cookies and favourites ....
    And sometimes the lack of evidence is all the evidence that you need?

I am guessing that these people are not rocket scientists, so I doubt if they have taken any precautions.

We are talking a small office here, not some anonymous college campus..........you threaten someone else's livelihood and expect consequences.........trust me!

What I am suspecting is that they are just surfing the internet when they get bored............assuming that the activity is pretty even, that would easily explain 200Mb a day. I would bet that they don't even know that opening web pages takes up bandwidth and looks like a download.

You need to be very careful in small office environments because you can easily make your position untenable.

Just look at it...............the people sending and receiving architectural drawings are the ones earning the corporate revenue.............the IT support guy is just another overhead?

Just Another Geek
    Don't use wireshark for this, it's not meant to be a network monitoring solution, it's a protocol analyzer.

Have a look at things like ntop, netflow and/or MRTG.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

If you have the capture saved, you might try running it through NetWitness. It can help organize the mountain of information that wireshark will spit at you.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

gees...this has become quite a contentious topic... I was looking at some netflow analyzer software, perhaps this would be better.... i need something realtime that would create a log but could be run in "stealth mode". I dont want the users to know its on or be able to uninstall it...
    .....I rather not say....

Sound like you might want Squid Proxy. It can be molded into many things, and work as a cache proxy all the while. You can run it in transparent mode, and log all the Internet traffic in/out of a node.

link to squid
    http://www.squid-cache.org/

hope that helps a bit...