Help ...

Thread: Help ...

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Help ...

Hi Guys,

Please see my attached diagram while reading my post.

Basically I want to allow Internet Access to my Virtual network which is running on PC. Running VmWare.

The Server 2k3 in my virtual network runs AD , DNS, DCHP and all the basics of a network.

Someone said I would have to forward DNS to my router and setup routing & remote access.

I dont actually know how to do this but trying to learn.

Could some windowz peeps help me out here?

Thanks
    Last edited by Cider; October 25th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

This sounds like you might want to look into using VMWare Teams which allow for Virtual LAN Segments and on top of that you can create Virtual Network Adapters for each VM and connect them to whatever segment, however you want.

An easy way to give a VM internet access would be to use NAT for the adapter on a VM that you want to have a internet connection. NAT will configure you host machine to work like a router, serving it's own DHCP to NAT'd VMs. Since you already have DHCP setup, you might not want NAT.

Normally how I give inet access to a VM is to create a second virtual adapter for a VM and to just set that adapter to bridge with my hosts's connection. Being plugged into my school's network, my VM will pull receive from the same DHCP server that my host machine receives from the college. This can more or less turn your host machine into a switch with as many bridged adapters as you want. This might be better for you since your behind a router that probably serves DHCP. When you startup your VMs they should then be able to pull directly from your router.

If youre using VMWare Workstation then this might be helpful: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net.html

I hope this helps and makes sense. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Last edited by zszafran; June 26th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.

Hi there,

Thanks for the input and link. I will definitely RTFM on the link. I am trying to simulate a classic corporate network (Server + workstations) for testing and educational purposes.

I am running the virtual network on its own IP range so I can configure them appropriately.

Sure I can give each machine another NIC and set it to NAT so I can have internet access but I would like to route that private IP range to my network to allow Inet access.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    use a router and forward all internet requests to your gateway.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hey MLF ...

The router is the gateway ...

Dont know if you mean get a second router on the VLAN.

Anyways, got a link to set this up? I presume I must do the forwarding in DNS?

Thanks
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    ahhh yeap thats what I meant....

I am not sure how DNS would work with that....

I believe in the KISS rule

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer