Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on Vmware.

Problem installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on Vmware.

I usually check new Microsoft OS's on VM. I use VMware Workstation for this (6.5.2).

I played around with Windows server 2008 for something now I’ve moved it Windows Server R2 RC but I'm having problem installing it. I've downloaded the 2 and half GB ISO file but I'm getting error if I try to install it through direct ISO or mounting it on a virtual drive.

When i try to install through virtual drive, VMware doesn’t recognize it and continues trying to boot trough other methods.

When I try and install through ISO path to the virtual machine it boots up but when i try to install it gives error "a required CD/DVD device driver is missing and asks me to install the CD with the drvier" It doesn't go beyond that..

Any suggestions? I've never got this before..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm.. R2 is not supported. That said, it sounds like the same issue that we had with Vista (they changed the driver significantly). Take a look at this thread and see if it helps: http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_insta...are_server.htm
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

That so weird.. Server 2008 R2 beta STILL works like a charm on VMware and i've installed it from version 6.5.1 when Windows server 2008 was in "experimental" catagory. In VMware 6.5.2 version server 2008 is not even experimental .. Ah it seems Microsoft has made lot of changes from 2008 to 2008 R2. It's still a weird thing since Windows 7 (RC) works perfectly on VMware.

Ah anyway i'll try with Microsoft Virtual Machine..

Thanks Ms..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Ah.. hang on. Take a look at the 2nd to last post here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/209535

I think the solution is to just copy the file over from the Beta to the RC image, re-burn it and viola.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

I tried to install with Microsoft's virtual machine and it gave x64 on x86 error (for the processor).. which is weird ! Since my CPU is 64-Bit !

DAMN THIS ! anyway i'm working around it .. give me an hour or so ill see if it worked..

Btw, the ISO i downloaded is the only one available on microsoft.. Do you have a link to x86 one ?
    Last edited by ByTeWrangler; June 28th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTeWrangler View Post
    I tried to install with Microsoft's virtual machine and it gave x64 on x86 error (for the processor).. which is weird ! Since my CPU is 64-Bit !

DAMN THIS ! anyway i'm working around it .. give me an hour or so ill see if it worked..

Btw, the ISO i downloaded is the only one available on microsoft.. Do you have a link to x86 one ?

No, unfortunately.

Alright tried few things .. Simple but tried none the less .. .. They didn't work out.,.

Downloading VHD image's now ..

At 1.6 Mbps download speed it's pretty good ..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

I'll import the VHD's into VMware.. Somehow I don't get the part that microsoft is trying to get into Virtulization too.. What freaks !

They can't handle one thing though .. Why does microsoft want to go into everything.. AV - VM's - photo editing and what not - Lets not forget Bing..

Jack of all but master of none.. sigh .. everyone wants to become acme ..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

This is frustrating.. I spent almost an hour downloading the image file.. Now there are two problems I’m facing..

1. When I start in Virtual PC 2007 (not virtual server) it does nothing and just keeps rebooting after saying windows is loading files

2. When importing into VMware it shows an HDD file to be created as 120 GB (the VHD file is just 6.7 GB).. This is like WTF since there is no way to convert the HDD to VMware disk but you have to import the entire machine which shows such stupid figures.. (I know there is an option to change the disk size but that's not the case here for anyone who has imported a Virtual PC to VMware knows not to do that !)

CRAP DOES NO ONE USE VMWARE / VIRTUAL PC .. Doesn't anyone want to test Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

Going off for some warcraft ..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTeWrangler View Post
    This is frustrating.. I spent almost an hour downloading the image file.. Now there are two problems I’m facing..

1. When I start in Virtual PC 2007 (not virtual server) it does nothing and just keeps rebooting after saying windows is loading files

2. When importing into VMware it shows an HDD file to be created as 120 GB (the VHD file is just 6.7 GB).. This is like WTF since there is no way to convert the HDD to VMware disk but you have to import the entire machine which shows such stupid figures.. (I know there is an option to change the disk size but that's not the case here for anyone who has imported a Virtual PC to VMware knows not to do that !)

CRAP DOES NO ONE USE VMWARE / VIRTUAL PC .. Doesn't anyone want to test Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

Going off for some warcraft ..
    Use converter to bring it in. It's a free download.

And what server/character type on WoW do you play? (I'm a meek tauren hunter on Kilrogg (sp?) )