Thread: Top Spam Busters

Top Spam Busters

Virus Bulletin have done a test of spam blocking applications.

Kaspersky and Message Architect came tops....................

The second edition of the test pitted anti-spam filters against an archived collection of spam messages, and a live stream of email from addresses set up by testers. Products were scored for the percentage of spam messages detected and the number of false positives returned.
    The top performers were Kaspersky's Anti-Spam 3.0 and Message Architects' M+ Guardian spam blocker.

Giacom's MessageStream service earned a 'gold' certification, while WebRoot's E-Mail Security, FortiMail and BitDefender Security for Mail Servers all earned 'silver' certifications.
    Among the worst performers in the test were ClamAV and Spam Assassin. ModusGate also missed out on earning a certification due to a high rate of false positives.
    Unfortunately you need to be a Virus Bulletin subscriber to see the full article

Kaspersky does an admirable job, I admit. Unfortunately though sometimes, even with considerable training, certain spam e-mails get through over and over, I mean the same exact ones. You would think virtually identical spam would be detectable after a bit.

Just a question here.. Hasn't anyone noticed a "decrease" in spam ? I mean a considerable decrese in spam ? I don't have figures to prove it but I really think spam has subsided.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

I guess it goes in waves................there are some statistics here:

http://www.marshal8e6.com/TRACE/spam_statistics.asp

personally I think my name should be on that list. Considering the amount of forum spammers, both human and otherwise, that are out there and the precious few that actually get through

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Kaspersky does an admirable job, I admit. Unfortunately though sometimes, even with considerable training, certain spam e-mails get through over and over, I mean the same exact ones. You would think virtually identical spam would be detectable after a bit.
    I know exactly how you feel, abit bleek wehn outlook jumk email catches them

Nihil: Does it list what AV vendors / appliances were tested? WE use Cobain and cloudmark with our hardware appliances and they do a decent job or are we talking only software here?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi there Cider,

You can get a lot more details at their site:

http://www.virusbtn.com/index

If you sign up for the (free) registration you can browse the archives. You need to be a subscriber to see the current reports.

Perhaps you should check with your head office, as I am sure that they must have a subscription?

Basically they only do comparative tests of software, so the infrastructure will be constant and not really relevant, as the measure is of how products stand on their own.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Thanks Nihil,

I have asked the relevant people, dont know if they will give me the details as im still a pleb
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

dont know if they will give me the details as im still a pleb
    But you are a customer facing pleb. Existing, and most certainly potential customers have an uncanny knack of getting hold of these reports. They ask questions because they assume that you will have read them?

If I worked for your outfit I would make sure that staff had access to the information, and more importantly, to the official response or comments.