Thread: GeForce 9800GT Crashes

Threaded View

GeForce 9800GT Crashes

Before I get going with my problem -- Hi guys! I know it's been forever since I've been on here. I actually have been more or less out of the general IT industry for a couple of years now, so I haven't had any topics to really jump in here and talk about. Much to my humility though, my skills have consequently faded in a pretty big way. Now I'm working with Oracle doing software support -- best job I've had so far, fun, and I'm finally away from the headaches of being the IT guy for a change.

But that said, as a result I'm a bit lost on issues like this --

Just got a new computer after the old Frankenstein machine I've had since college finally gave out, so I dumped some money into a bit of a custom gaming machine: ASROCK K10N780SLIX3-WiFi motherboard with with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor and a NVidia GeForce 9800 GT video card. Running XP Home with all the latest updates installed, of course.

The problem in short is I can play a game for a few minutes, then without fail, the game freezes and I either have to manually reboot, or it crashes and reboots itself.

The history so far: I've had the PC for maybe a month or so now, little over. After everything was freshly installed, everything ran great for a few days. I picked up Crysis and have been fortunate enough to actually run the game smoothly albeit with fairly minimal settings. Played with no issues for a while.

And then problems started after maybe a week or so -- After five minutes of smooth gameplay, the game would just freeze. Not just Crysis, but any game I played. Same time frame every time, and I would have to reboot. Managed to fix that -- I realized I had the wrong video driver installed, so grabbed the latest from the Nvidia site, removed the old one, installed the new one, problem solved. Ran fine a while longer.

Then, a little later, I got infected with the SKYNET rootkit. Once upon a time I could run AVG with standard Windows Firewall and Spybot/Adaware and never have any problems, but this proved me wrong with great humility. I almost got stuck having to wipe and reinstall Windows, but after some wrestling with PC Tools and buying and installing the full BitDefender package, that was finally cleaned and my system is more or less back to normal. So now I'm running the full BitDefender suite -- A/V, firewall, etc., and it seems to be doing an awesome job.

Except now my gaming issues are back. It's not quite 5 min. this time, but Crysis does without fail freeze and force a reboot every time I play it after so long -- say, probably 15 minutes or so as an estimate.

At one point I got an Event ID 108 from nv4_Disp.dll that evidently was indicative of an infinite loop, so I tried reinstalling again. I had kept my install in a C:\Drivers folder, so I just went into Device Manager, uninstalled the video card, rebooted, and then Windows automatically reinstalled the driver upon boot-up. Since the reinstall, that error has gone away.

But no change -- It still freezes after 15 min. or so of gameplay. I'm getting a system error 1003 every time, and it forces a reboot. The 1003 error gives the following:

Error code 100000ea, parameter1 896d7da8, parameter2 89b4f250, parameter3 b84dfcbc, parameter4 00000001.

So next, I ran CCleaner to clean out some old registry entries and various other things. No change -- still freezes. So I'm kind of at a loss at this point.

Any ideas on where best to go next from here?
    Last edited by AngelicKnight; July 4th, 2009 at 08:45 PM.