July 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Key board key errors with windows XP SP2
My keyboard has started generating wierd codes. I changed keyboards from a serial port one to a new one with a USB port. The new on is having the same problems.
I have used registry cleaners, a keyboard remmapping program that shows the keys are okay.
When I press some alphabetical letters on the key board i will bring up 'F7 carat messages', opening up different menus.
Crazy I am using two keyboards to type this message as each keyboard has keys that are not responding, both new and old keyboards.
Dos anyone have an idea on how to fix this
July 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Are there any message's being displayed in Device Manager? Did you have to un-install or install drivers for either keyboard?
have you tried plugging the keyboards into another computer?
Also do a full system AntiVirus Scan in SafeMode. Prior to doing the scan disable system restore, then once the scan has completed boot back into a normal session and re-enable it.
July 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM
What internet browser are you using, and does this happen all the time or only when you have open, or are using, your internet browser?
Basically, Caret browsing is a feature of some internet browsers such as IE and FireFox. Opera does not seem to support it as installed at least.
I notice that you are still on Service Pack 2. You really should have updated to 3 by now, particularly as I wouldn't have a great deal of confidence in MS thoroughly testing patches on an obsolete version........after all, why should they?
Having said that, I doubt if it is the cause of your problem as your test with the keyboard mapper proved OK and that info. is held in the OS.
Last edited by nihil; July 5th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
July 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
T- There are no error messages or conflicts in the device manager. I have now uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for both. They are both plug and play so they reinstall the same driver.
I also did the full virus scan in safe mode using mcafee and avg but this has still not solved the problem.
Nihil- I have all three browsers installed but only use explorer and firefox. opera not for a few months. I have upgraded to sp3 but still no joy.
I have uninstalled msn and yahoo messenger because it occured someone could have used them to send something to my computer.
Sorry for the delay in reply. takes forever to use two key boards to type
July 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
1. Does this only happen when you are typing text via an internet browser, or does it happen in text editors such as Word, Notepad, and Wordpad as well?
2. Does it happen with Opera?
3. If it happens with text editors, does it happen when you start in safe mode?
4. What happens if you activate the Windows on-screen keyboard and use that?
5. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FireFox?
Another thing that you might try is to create a new user account and see if the same problem exists.
Last edited by nihil; July 6th, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
July 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
1. It happens when I am typing in text editors like word and notepad.
2. I have not used Opera for several weeks, months.
3. It does not happen in safe mode. All the keys work well in safe mode.
4. The onscreen keyboard works well. No errors or codes generated but the physical ones are still playing up.
5. I have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox several times. I have uninstalled Opera but still have the problem.
I will try a new user account, but would I not loose most of my programs that come up on the start menu?
By mohaughn in forum Microsoft Security Discussions
Last Post: May 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM
By gore in forum Other Tutorials Forum
Last Post: March 28th, 2005, 07:38 AM
By Nokia in forum Tips and Tricks
Last Post: June 18th, 2004, 04:24 PM
By gore in forum Operating Systems
Last Post: June 9th, 2004, 02:44 AM
By gore in forum Operating Systems
Last Post: March 7th, 2004, 07:02 AM