Thread: Packets Drop

Exclamation Packets Drop

Hello all,

Our company has two offices in two separate buildings and we have a lease line connecting the two offices. The line and both routers on each end of the line were fine for the last 6 months but recently I noticed on our Network Monitoring Tool that the router on one end drops packets or it is unreachable but after 3 to 5 seconds everything resumes back to normal.

What might be the cause? How can you advise me to scrutinize this situation?

Looking forward for your comments.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by redsalad View Post
    Hello all,

Our company has two offices in two separate buildings and we have a lease line connecting the two offices. The line and both routers on each end of the line were fine for the last 6 months but recently I noticed on our Network Monitoring Tool that the router on one end drops packets or it is unreachable but after 3 to 5 seconds everything resumes back to normal.

What might be the cause? How can you advise me to scrutinize this situation?

Looking forward for your comments.

Thanks,
    Most others here are going to want to know bandwidth of the line, types/model of routers, what monitoring tool, etc.

I have only one question:

What did you change?

If nothing, check local loop on both ends including smart jacks if they go through diagnostic OK. Make sure any and all fibre connections are seated correctly. aw hell, just re seat the things.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Office cleaners?

Does seem like a hardware issue but could have a variety of causes......

hey dinowuff,

it's not as easy as I described it, we are a LAN and a small part of WAN, we have MPLS line going from one of the buildings to Paris & Singapore so replacing the routers not an option at the time being.

Between the two offices we have 2Mb line, and we use Cisco 26xx, and weuse ManageEngine Netflow Analyzer 7.

But as nihil described it I think it is a hardware issue, and not the cleaners :-P we have the routers locked in racks and the racks in a locked server room.

I will replace the cables today and see if that might help. *sigh*

Hi redsalad,

Good luck with the cables.............that is pretty much what I was getting at with the "cleaners" joke.............they can and do interrupt connectivity

Unfortunately it is beginning to sound as if you might have a more serious hardware problem. Can you run hardware diagnostics on the routers?

Also, is there any pattern to this packet dropping? like is it random, after intense activity, or after a period of inactivity.

I am starting to suspect a capacitor/charger/transformer problem.

I am assuming that the environment is controlled in respect of clean power supply, vibration, temperature and humidity?