Thread: FireFox update crashes

Unhappy FireFox update crashes

ByTe~ is just going to love this one

FireFox has just released 3.0.12 for its earlier version (3.5.1 is the latest, but you may not be happy with its stability and security just yet?) This fixes 12 security issues, many of them critical.

My personal experience is that if you allow its automatic update, it will hang or crash your machine and make FF unusable. This has happened with Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2000 SP4...............both fully patched.

Solution: Download the update to your HDD or media and run it from there.

It seems to be some sort of issue with whatever plugins you are using? so you may not experience this.

@ByTe~

I used Opera 9.64 to do the download

*Picks up his M4A1*

*Shoots*

*Shoots again*

*Goes for coffe*

This is only for you.. I'll test it on a VM .. ILL DELETE THE VM AND WIPE SLACK SPACE ON THAT PARTITION AFTER THAT THOUGH..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

hasn't happened to me yet, but then again I'm not running a single extension. I can tell you I'm sorry I did the last update. Firefox now takes so long to open from a cold start that I have to go make a sandwich and come back. Fortunately I don't open it often.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    hasn't happened to me yet, but then again I'm not running a single extension. I can tell you I'm sorry I did the last update. Firefox now takes so long to open from a cold start that I have to go make a sandwich and come back. Fortunately I don't open it often.
    Come on Joe, don't be shy it is alright to admit your a FF fanboy...

with the most recent update didn't they include something to help reduce the cold load up time?

Hi JPnyc,

It won't happen for you as you are on 3.5.1 This was 3.0.11 upgrading to 3.0.12.

It seems to be related to the AdBlock or NoScript plugins trying to be updated at the same time as the main FF application, so I guess it could only happen if you had automatic updates enabled for everything in your FF settings.

The XP box refused to boot, even into safe mode, coming up with a BSOD and the "Unmountable Boot Volume" message. I did not believe that for one minute so didn't go the normal Recovery Console route. I ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test instead, and the machine booted perfectly afterwards!

Boot issue update

I have downloaded 3.5.1 and found that the startup time increased by at least a minute.

I recall some speculation somewhere that this might have something to do with the number of temporary/garbage files you have on your system (God knows why?).

I ran CCLeaner and Free Internet Window Washer; defragmented the HDD and Registry and it now seems to be back where it was with 3.0.12

I don't think that could be the reason, I do those regularly. It's only incredibly slow from a cold start, subsequent starts are fast.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well automatic updating of Firefox seems to loop (I didnt even know it was updating) ~ I generally jsut disable this so it doesnt eat BW , I hope ...

3.5.1 seems stable to be , dont know about the security issues ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein