Thread: Laptop problems.

Laptop problems.

It feels good to be back in AO after so long, but I have a bit of a problem.. Actually, two.

I knew I could count on you all for some help.

Okay, one of my laptops was working fine and it was charging, same outlet.. Then I turned it off and went upstairs, I came back.. Tried to turn it on and it wouldn't, And here's an even weirder part.. I pressed the power button and nothing turned on, no charge light no nothing plugged it back in, same thing.

Second laptop I turned it off and when I turned it back on.. I heard like a screeching or grinding type of sound.. And i'm unable to explain it, I blew on the fans and still it went on o.o; So i'm leaving it off for now.

And I came to you all for help, since if I went to an 'Electronic Store' i'd be charged per hour for labor and well, less then 90% support.

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    Okay, one of my laptops was working fine and it was charging, same outlet.. Then I turned it off and went upstairs, I came back.. Tried to turn it on and it wouldn't, And here's an even weirder part.. I pressed the power button and nothing turned on, no charge light no nothing plugged it back in, same thing.
    Try reinstalling/reseating the memory. As strange as it sounds, I had a similar problem with two of my Sony laptops and it worked for me.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Hi,

Apart from trying Ron's suggestion.

Laptop #1

Does the power light/charging light normally come on when you connect to the mains but don't turn the PC on?

Laptop #2

There are two things that will cause this:

1. A fan............if it makes a lot of noise then it is probably the bearings and it needs replacing.

2. The hard drive.

See if you can determine exactly where the noise is coming from. If you can't do this and it is reasonably easy to access the hard drive, just take it out and power up. You don't have to physically remove it, just disconnect the power cable.

If you get the noise it is a fan, if you don't then it is the HDD.
    Last edited by nihil; July 28th, 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks for the answers, I knew I could count on you all.

- To Nihil -

Yeah, it's the fan that's causing it.. I unscrewed the housing to it to check inside I got a cotton swab and cleaned it, and I also noticed that when I pressed on it to spin it around one of the spinning parts was bent, although i'm not sure how it happened.. Is there a way to fix that manually?

Also to the other laptop I took the battery out and plugged it directly to the house, still nothing happened. And no, the light normally doesn't come on.. I thought it was the charger itself.

- To Ron -
    I'll try reinstalling the memory, but.. That sounds kinda weird I have to admit.
    How would reinstalling it be causing a problem to the charge?

The battery itself is fine i'm thinking it's the charger..There's no other way to explain it.

Then that would mean all I need to do is get one from a repair shop and test it right? But what if it still doesn't turn on?

And how much would a new charger cost normally? I haven't bought one since the 90s so.. I'm really not sure.

And back then we still used Floppy Disks and Laptops were huge.

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar
    How would reinstalling it be causing a problem to the charge?
    I have no idea. When I read the OP post that suggested this option, I thought it was crazy too. But it worked for me, twice.

The battery itself is fine i'm thinking it's the charger..There's no other way to explain it
    Could also be the motherboard. Have you checked the manufacturers support site for help?

And how much would a new charger cost normally?
    Usually OEM chargers are expensive, but you may be able to find one on ebay/cl or perhaps buy an aftermarket. What is the make/model of the laptop?
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Hi,

#1. Noisy fan with bent blade:

You need to replace the fan. I very much doubt if it could be repaired, and even then, I wouldn't trust it. It sounds as if the bushes/bearings are shot and the blade has been hitting the housing.

#2. Won't start:

1. The lights don't normally come on unless the machine is turned on, and they don't come on now.
    2. The machine won't start on battery power.
    3. The machine will not start on mains power.

That sounds very much like a broken on/off (I/O) switch to me. When they fail it tends to be sudden and catastrophic.