Thread: satellite security and torrents

Question satellite security and torrents

iv just got BB "gilat-skyedge IP"modem[not router] via satellite and am having problems with downloading torrents, seems to be a port forwarding problem, any comments would be appreciated..
    using xp pro sp3

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Is there no port forwarding options as you suggest?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe they disallow torrents on their network as part of the usage policy??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Yeah as MLF said, probally P2P is disabled.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Banned
    With satellite connections you can't stay connected for days on end. Try viewing something on youtube... if it instantly jumps from a single kilobyte to 120+ while loading the page then thats usually an indication your provider is cap'ing your connection.

Smile

it does look like 2p2 is off, and from what i can find out, this modem cant do port forward, hmm dosnt look good..still better than dial-up lol..
    is port forward done at ground zero or through my end ?
    i finally got my isp support team to respond to my email, which will help
    but thanks for the reply's

You could forward the needed port either via your firewall, or in your modem configuration page.

I also have satellite broadband through WildBlew, simply because it's the only alternative to dialup where I live. Their Fair Access Policy specifically disallows hosting and p2p. I had someone probe the ViaSat modem my connection goes through, and their scan reports that ALL ports are open. At first, I thought the modem just resets all incoming connection attempts (except for DNS), but upon further examination, I determined that it only appears to reset incoming connections from other customers of the same satellite service.

SSH is able to connect from the internet to my firewall just fine if I'm not on my neighbor's satellite connection. Otherwise, I have to set up an SSH connection to a server in Canada with a tunnel to my firewall, then set up another SSH tunnel through my firewall to the firewall's SSL web interface. Kinda convoluted, but it works.