Thread: Dual Monitors With legacy hardware

Dual Monitors With legacy hardware

I am planning to roll out dual monitors for our several of our pc's. The pc's I have in house have been purchased about 2 years ago. With single video cards naturally. My question is what would be the best route to implement dual flat screen monitors? I done some research on the subject and found several possible solutions. Be it universal docking stations or dual video cards. Would you folks recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Hi

There are video cards that have support for multiple monitors. I have a Nvidia Geforce FX-5200 PCI card that supports dual display. It's not the best card in the world, but it does the job, and its cheap.

As for dual video cards, that could work also. Just be sure that the cards are similar in make, or you would most definitely come across compatibility issues, which usually results in BSODs You would probably be better finding a cheap card that supports dual display.

Here is a guide just in case http://freepctech.com/pc/001/guide_dual_monitors.shtml

Just Another Geek
    If you can't replace the videocard (on laptops for instance) a Matrox DualHead2Go might be an idea.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Banned
    I run mine with one (cheap) video card that has both a DVI and a VGA connector. This requires one of your monitors to support DVI, but if not, you can get one of these adapters: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ECH-_-82203020

Maybe a stupid question, but did you check to make sure the cards you currently have don't have both connectors (VGA and DVI)? If so, you should be in business for either $0 (if one of your monitors supports DVI) or $7 (if you need to buy an adapter)...

Hi,

Just had a quick look at my stuff. The 1xDVI + 1xVGA combination seems to be the most common.

I have one card with 2xVGA and another with 2xDVI............ that last one shipped with two DVI/VGA adapters and a TV out cable , all in matching translucent shocking pink!

My point is that the adapter that Negative links to is VGA/DVI, but you can get them the other way round, like mine.