Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Browser Security Review

I personally use Chrome for fast browsing and Firefox for anything involving logging into stuff, like email, banking, etc. (Keep in mind I have nothing against IE, but getting it to work on Ubuntu is tricky). I agree that a stock install of FF is less secure than IE8, but I would be interested to learn how many people install FF plugins to increase security.

thanks for the urls jake_ie8team. I honestly didn't even spot them in Nihil's post.

I guess somepeople are a little Grumpy today huh?

Quote Originally Posted by keezel View Post
    I personally use Chrome for fast browsing and Firefox for anything involving logging into stuff, like email, banking, etc. (Keep in mind I have nothing against IE, but getting it to work on Ubuntu is tricky). I agree that a stock install of FF is less secure than IE8, but I would be interested to learn how many people install FF plugins to increase security.
    it's the only thing that keeps me from switching to Linux, the programs that will and will not run on it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    it's the only thing that keeps me from switching to Linux, the programs that will and will not run on it.
    What keeps me away from linux is the community behind it and I'll say the same for firefox.

Linux attracts these stereotypical overweight losers who only use the OS because they can't go online for more than five seconds without being infected with malware. And people seem to use Firefox because their brainwashed into thinking it'll be the end-all to any problems or misunderstandings they have with computers.

I mean, come on... admit the fact that windows is targeted at grannys and toddlers. And if you still can't seem to grasp the software then you shouldn't even own a computer.

That's not the reason I'm looking to say goodbye to Windows. There hasn't been so much as a tracking cookie on my machine for ages. It's the ever increasing bloat of Windows OS. Of course I haven't tried Windows 7 yet, but I know that using vista on someone else's machine makes me suicidal within five minutes. However it's a moot point because there's software I absolutely have to use and it won't run on anything but Windows.

Banned
    My install is around 370 megabytes while the modern video game installs are around two or three gigabytes. Plus a hell of alot more if you're running it off an ISO.

However it's a moot point because there's software I absolutely have to use and it won't run on anything but Windows.
    Joe what Software?

why not just do a dual boot and keep the windows partition for the software.?

Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5 View Post
    Joe what Software?

why not just do a dual boot and keep the windows partition for the software.?
    Or VirtualBox.

I have machines running Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. Each seem to have their strengths and weaknesses. Same goes for browsers. I used to get into the OS/Browser wars, but now I just say 'to each their own'.

I typically use Linux for everyday tasks, but I wouldn't fault someone for using a different OS.

Just my $0.02.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

There'd be no point to it. I would be constantly using only the Windows side.

There'd be no point to it. I would be constantly using only the Windows side.
    Have your tried to see if you can get the apps to work under wineHQ?

still curious to know what software?