Thread: WSUS Sp1 install issue

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

WSUS Sp1 install issue

Hey Guys,

A few months back I attempted to install WSUS SP1 on our server and came to an issue with .net framework.

I decided to try and uninstall .net and reinstall which brought down our whole network for a few hours so I stayed away

Today I attempted it again but ran into some errors with .net again.

Here is the log file.

Could someone have a look and let me know what to do :P

2009-08-25 15:56:22 Success MWUSSetup Validating pre-requisites...
    2009-08-25 15:56:22 Error MWUSSetup Failed to determine if an higher version of WSUS is installed. Assuming it is not... (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2009-08-25 15:58:13 Success MWUSSetup Initializing installation details
    2009-08-25 15:58:13 Success MWUSSetup Installing ASP.Net
    2009-08-25 15:58:13 Error MWUSSetup Failed to create process (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2009-08-25 15:58:13 Error MWUSSetup ExecCmd failed (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2009-08-25 15:58:13 Error MWUSSetup InatallAspDotNet: Failed to execute c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -ir (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2009-08-25 15:58:13 Error MWUSSetup CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: Installation of ASP.NET v2.0 failed (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2009-08-25 15:58:13 Error MWUSSetup CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2009-08-25 15:58:58 Error MWUSSetup DoInstall: Wsus setup failed (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    I can upload the file if need be.

Probally a noob Q but im not too familar with .net.

Thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'm not an expert by any means (having only played with WSUS a few times). I would ask if you have IIS installed on the server though? It seems to me that it's having problems with that portion. If you have IIS installed, does it have the ASP components installed?

Otherwise, I would suggest looking at Microsoft's support pages to see if there's a solution to this. Or wait for someone else who has more knowledge about WSUS to reply.

Have a great day
    Patrick.

And also, do you have WSUS installed? I think you may need to install the base version of WSUS before you can install SP1. Or there may be a different file that you can download (which is the entire WSUS product with SP1 integrated).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...&stype=s_basic (Some links to related content at Microsoft)

I would check to make sure that you have all of the prerequisites before you try the installation again.

Have a great day
    Patrick.

Yo, thank for the reply.

We do have IIS installed but on a different server. I lie , we actually have it on that server as well.

I downloaded the WSUS isntaller (around 80 megs) , I was under the impression that it didnt need a base install and this was the full install with SP1 intergrated ...

Im not at work atm but ill check technet and the WSUS guide and do some googling, just I could get advice here.

TBH: I always post here first before I trust a search engine :P
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/bb466192.aspx

It will surely help..

I would go for clean install. Get everything off the machine including IIS.. Reboot as many times and re-install..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

SP2

Just in time, here's SP2............don't upgrade twice.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7018

Cheers
    DjM

just installed.

It was .net btw byte.

For some reason it stops the WWW service which kills the pricelist , starting the service up fixed the issue.

Thanks for the heads up of SP2, will download and upgrade...
    Albert Einstein

Thats the second news of the day someone else posted before i did ..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Guys Got Wsus going and everything.

Now I have put a policy on on the OU where all our users sit in AD with the WSUS details.

My boss however wants his own control.

Can I disable WSUS for his machine alone without putting him in another OU with a different policy?

I edited GP on his machine locally , dont know if that will override domain settings. Can someone help out here.

Thanks
    Albert Einstein